Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suspension help, shock suggestion?..help?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chev4life, Sep 26, 2004.

1. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Alright guys its almost time for mud and I cant put this off anymore. My shocks are too short and limit my suspesion travel...they are the basic superlift shocks that came with my 4" spring lift on my '87 K5. I have a guad setup in front, stock out back. Any good sugestions on replacements on all 4 corners that will have more travel? I would like to go with some adjustables, but not completely necessary. Should I stick with 4 up front? If so would I need a set off 4 adjustables if I go that rout? Any suggestion on what I should do?...ideas?...pics of what you have done?
    Thanks guys and lets welcome alittle a little rain to stir up some sludge! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Ditch all your stock mounts and get the longest shocks you can afford. 12.5" gabrials for $20 at Autozone or the next upgrade from those are a set of 14" bilsteins, beyond that there is supposedly a 20" travel skyjacker shock out now.

Limited by only your pocket book.

3. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Pocket book is low on flow so I need to keep as simple and cheap as possible. Whats wrong with my stock mounts? Need to change locations? They seem fine to me, never had a problem...just have an issue having my shocks be my ghetto limiting strap /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    I will check out those shocks though..$20 each I can do..how do gabrials ride street wise?

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

the problem with the stock mounts is that they are too close together. If you want lots of travel, you need looong shocks. I run DT8000s. They have 12-13" of travel and are $35 ea. The old Ford shock tower mod upfront is easy, cheap and allows you to mount some pretty long shocks. The rear is where things can get spendy unless you have a buddy than can weld you up a crossmember or something...

oh yeah, one more thing... unless you do lots of high speed desert racing with whoops and junk, ditch the dual shocks up front. One per corner is all you really need.

j

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Pocket book is low on flow so I need to keep as simple and cheap as possible. Whats wrong with my stock mounts? Need to change locations? They seem fine to me, never had a problem...just have an issue having my shocks be my ghetto limiting strap

[/ QUOTE ]

I put the rear 4 inch kit shocks on my front stock mounts for now , it works well , I have plenty of flex . Going to do ford towers sometime however . The rears I run the Gabriels I found out about here on Ck5 in the stock mounts for now , and they work fine with plenty of flex . I can hear my fronts rub the inner fenders sometimes with the swaybar discos undone , and I get the bass boom in the rear on hard stuff as the tires hit the wheeltubs /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

a set of 4 rancho 5000's could be had for a case of beer + shipping. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif (see for sale)

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    gabrials ride street wise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Shocks do not support weight, only dampen motion. The Gabrials are as good as you're going to get without stepping up to a monotube like the KYB Monomax, Pro Comp MX-6, or Bilstein 5100, 5150, etc.

G63438 is the part number you want.