Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suspension help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FMJ, Feb 24, 2005.

1. FMJ

FMJ Registered Member

I have no idea what to do with the suspension on my truck. I'm thinking put a divorced 205 in with 4 inch shackles and ?? lift to run either 40's or 42's. I want as much flex as I can get, and I am building this truck for mud and trails and maybe some rocks. I don't know much about suspension, and some help would be greatly appreaciated.

2. jkce457

jkce457 1/2 ton status

Well, first you need to tell us what kind of vehicle you are putting the 40's or 42's on:confused::dunno:

3. FMJ

FMJ Registered Member

It'll be a longbed dodge frame, with an 80's chevy front end on it with the front fenders cut up and probably a 2 inch body lift incorporated into the new mounts. There will be no bed, just a cage. Should I just buy a 4 inch lift kit and run the 40's or would I be better off doing somthing else?

4. jkce457

jkce457 1/2 ton status

The least amount of lift possible is best for a lower center of gravity. The main reason to lift it would be for tire clearance. You won't have to worry about the rear since the bed is removed, and 4 inches should be enough in the front with some major fender trimming. I'm not sure if you will have any other clearance issues in the front since you have a hybrid set up.

5. FMJ

FMJ Registered Member

Well I'd like to be able to swing the front tires around a lot without worry of rubbing. With the 4 inch springs i'd have a total of 8 inches.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That's too much.

7. FMJ

FMJ Registered Member

What would you suggest then.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i run 40s with about 5" of suspension lift and 1" of body lift. I'm probably going to lose about an inch of suspension lift when I go to 52" springs up front. Anyway, low COG is always a good thing. I don't see any reason to lift a fullsize's suspension any more than 6" really... just trim the body until whatever tires you chose fit.

j

9. FMJ

FMJ Registered Member

So what size springs would i need to run to get at least 6" of lift?