Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suspension help....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SCJimmy, Jul 15, 2003.

1. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

OK, I have a 4" rough country all spring lift. (Yeah, I know they are the stiffest). /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Running 4 new shocks in the front, 2 new in the rear, stock locations.

New bushings, all new front end, double steering stabilizer.

I'm looking for some cheep ways to free up the suspension, and soften the ride. I'm too far into this to swap the springs out or shackle flip the rear.

I was considering removing the swaybar completely (It's dropped down now). Also looking into ordering some greasable shackle bolts. Any other ideas? I like the height, and the truck wheels ok, but the ride is less than ideal. I would like to improve it, or I will need to go back to stock springs and much smaller tires. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

yank the swaybar out...with those springs you wont notice it...and lose the most angular shock in the front...maybe go to a longer travel while you're at it....

3. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

My ride problem was the tires, 4" TC EZ ride, rode like crap. Bought new Goodyears, and instant change....

4. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Definitely loose the 4 shocks up front and go with 2 good quality shocks. I had the quad setup for a while, and when I went to 2 RS9000 shocks, the ride quality improved 100%!!

Are the lift springs fairly new? If so, the more you use them the more they will soften out .... just give it time.

What kind of bushings, rubber or polly? Rubber will provide a softer ride ....

Thomas.

5. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Let us know if you figure it out. My ride is really rough too. I have a Rancho 4" all spring lift with RS5000 shocks. I've been thinking of just trying to swap out the shocks, but it's a lot of $$ and I'm not certain it will help.

6. Stoopalini

The RS5000 shocks are known for their rough ride. A search will probably turn up tons of stuff on this. Swapping them out will most definitely improve your ride; assuming everything else is in good order (springs, tires, bushings, etc ...)

Thomas.

7. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Definitely loose the extra front shocks. A stock Blazer is not heavy enough for dual shocks... with a snow plow up front, maybe...

8. Stoopalini

It's been my understanding that dual shocks are designed to work with each other. Basically, they split the load and are valved to do so for the benefit of distributing the heat between both shocks. This is good for rough, fast driving (ie: dune racing)

If you remove just one shock, it will not be ideal due to the valving of the shocks not suited to be run alone. Replacing both shocks with a single quality one is preferable.

Thomas.