Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suspension is Installed!!! Results are in.......

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Waxer, Jul 19, 2000.

1. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I'm sure everyone saw my post a week or so ago about the susp installation I had to do. Well here's a reminder of what I installed. 4" Tuff Country EZ Ride Front leafs with ORD HD Shackles. ORD 4" Shackle Flip with Stock Rear leafs out of an 88 K5 that had the teflon pads and tapered edges. Greasable poly all the way around. Results.......

The ride is much softer, no more squeak noises from old bushings, articulation is Crazy!!! My 35's rub the front fenders at full stuff, and I have a 2" Body lift also....
    Not to mention that I still have stock length brake lines and my shocks only have 2" of travel, they are way too short. So I disconnected my shocks to allow more articulation and thats when the tires rubbed the rear part of the front fenders. The rear susp has major flex, I'll get some pics taken soon. I still have to get some steel braided brake lines and some 9012's to complete the suspension, but just thought I'd pass along how happy and satisfied I am with ORD and their products.

2. Sounds great man !6" all together and still rubs? It seems like they are all different ! I had 15" of lift and 44's rubbed too ! Are your 35's really wide, my 44's were the 19.5 wide !

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Waxer,
    I got a 4" susp and 3" body lift and my 35's rubbed when I wheel it extreme too.
    But, how difficult was the install? (ORD 4" shackle that is) I'm comptemplating on either getting rear new rear lift springs or the ORD flip. Let me know. Thanks
    Boss

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Hey, just got my 4" flip from ORD last night, will be putting on soon, will let you know how it goes also.

Steve Fox
    90 3/4 ton K5
    [​IMG]

5. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

Heya, I installed the tuff country 6" front springs and 2" rear springs from ORD (and their longer front shackles) and with about 7" of total lift, my 35" BFG's rub in the front-unturned!

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

6. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

I have to replace my rear springs (stock) and the truck is lifted with a 4" sus. and 3" body. Would it be better to 1) put stock height springs with a flip or 2) 4" springs w/ stock hanger. I have the H.D Rancho 4" springs up front and blocks in the rear. I want to get rid of the blocks and put it on my off-road trailer that has 35" tires. What would be more economical? Plus I may be going another 2" in height in the future on the suspension and putting the 4" front springs on my Crewcab?
    Thanks, Joe

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    86 Jimmy 4+3, 35-&gt;39.5 tires,4spd
    </font color=green>
    [​IMG]

7. Waxer

The shackle flip job was easy except for the damn rivets. They were a pain to get out with drilling. Once they were out, just a job of bolting everything up. I used to run 4" blocks and with no blocks now, heres one important thing that I notice. When I take off at a light, the whole truck seems to torque to the right, from the power of the engine. Now it didnt used to do this before, and my guess is that the stress from the engine torque use to be transfered to the axle with blocks and the axle used to flex (axle wrap), now that I eliminated that possibility, something else has to flex, and its the whole truck on the nice and soft suspension. Which is fine with me, cause i know everything is right.

8. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

See on my '78 i did the ord 6" you know tuff country. well i think i might go with 33s becasue if you guys are hitting with fender trimming and with 35s. because with 33s i shouldnt hit with my quick dissconnects but then again it might look nasty also..hehe

9. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

10. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

hey waxer, could you describe city/highway ride? comfortwise.

Knife.

11. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

I have a 6" Tuff COUtnry lift, and the articulation is fantastic, although I rub as well. That is being taken care of even as I write this, as I am sure the Sawzall or cutting wheel at the shop is making short work of my fenders.

I would run 35s in any case. 33s with a 6" lift probably won't rub, but why go that high and not run the largest tire you can? Tires are the only thing that give you clearance. I didn't want to cut my fenders, but that's the breaks! You could always go with a cheaper lift, that way you won't be able to hit the fenders because your springs will be way too stiff!

12. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

Oh, and while mine is a 6", the ride is smooth as glass, better than I expected. The truck handles better than it did before also, I am able to corner well (for a big-ass truck, that is!).

13. Waxer

I'd have to say its comparable to the ride in a Buick. Very soft, very comfortable. Thats not just contributable to the shackle flip. It has to do with the 88 K5 springs I also installed. They have a much softer spring rate than my 74 Springs did. And them Tuff Country EZ rides are just that, soft and easy