Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suspension Kits - Which is Better?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1986Blazer, Aug 6, 2001.

1. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

I am set to order my 4" lift kit. I am looking at the Rough Country and Tuff Country (different businesses). Both are comparable but I'd like to hear from anyone that has knowledge of these kits.

I know the Rough Country is about $470 for the complete kit, what does the Tuff County cost?

Also....the Rough Country offers 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton kits with 52" & 56" rear springs. Since I have a 1/2 ton K5, but plan to install a 14 bolt FF, do I need the 1/2 or 3/4 ton kit, and what is the difference with the spring length.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html>http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html</a>
    So I says to him, I said, "get your own monkey."
    1986 K5, 350 GM Crate, 700R4, NP208

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm not sure about K5s, but some 1/2 ton pickups came with 56" springs. All 3/4 tons come with 56" springs. Mine has 52s, and I think all K5s should, but I'm not exactly sure because I've never owned one.

Spring length has nothing to do with what axle you bolt to them. The width of the springs and the distance apart doesn't change.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

3. Medman74K5

Medman74K5 Registered Member

I purchased a 4" TC EZ-Ride lift kit back in May front &amp; rear springs, steering arm, &amp; shocks came to $692.95 + 90.01 for freight. Not including freight same kit with rear blocks would have been around 432.95, no shocks around 294.95 this is including steering arm. They also offer a heavy duty spring (3/4 ton) for a little more. I have a 74 but the prices are about the same for your rig. Check with ORD they sell TC lifts for appox. the same price. I'll be puchasing another 4" lift soon probably from ORD for my 75 no rear spring this time, thinking about the shackle flip and HD springs. No complaints with TC great service nice poeple. They do have the 56" springs but I'm pretty sure you'll need the 52" correct me if I'm wrong.

4. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

I have Rough Country they were stiff at first but now with xtra weight they are just right.

5. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

Does the steering arm help it seem stock? I'm considering a 4 inch so I don't have to do any serious steering work like a crossover system...less bucks.

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

6. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

so far i'm happy with my rough country 4" kit. came to $540 with freight to my door. i called on a friday and had the kit in my hands that monday! oh i ended up with about 5 1/2" of lift out of it, although my stock springs may have been sagging some too. now i just have to get them new tires cause those 32's look like donuts under there.

7. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I have a Rough Country 4" with full springs. I ordered mine directly from Rough Country. I also ordered a dual steering stabilzer at the time. The total for all of mine shipped to my door was about $650. The lift, though was only $459 and I think shipping on that alone was about $75. And they ship 2-day.

I have been very pleased with my lift. Due to the sag in my factory springs, I ended up with about 6" of overall lift. The new steering arm is practically required. I drove mine a little before changing out the arm. The steering was ridiculous. After changing the arm, it now drives like stock. Just sits up a little higher.

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>
    PM me for a great deal on blinker fluid! Best price on the net!

8. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Rough Country.. Price and the ride is great.. not to hard, not too soft.
    Front/Rear spring set's aren't that much in price.
    I'd recommend Rough Country to anyone in a heartbeat.

Round Rock, Texas I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rocko.rockcrawler.com>www.rocko.rockcrawler.com</a>

9. pjwalters

pjwalters Registered Member

both myself and my buddy run rough country. we have rear blocks to lower cost. but after time youll need a add a leaf to correct the factory sag. my other buddy runs tuff country. and driving his truck is no diiferent than mine. oh yeah he also runs blocks and had to get an add a leaf too