Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suspension lift for 1 Ton

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hans_de_Wilt, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Hans_de_Wilt

Hans_de_Wilt Registered Member

I have a 1 Ton Truck and need a 4" Suspension lift kit. When I check different 4x4 stores on the internet they usually sell only the 1/2 and 3/4 Ton kits. What is the difference between those kits and a 1 Ton lift kit (if there is any difference)? I understand that the U-joints that go around the axle can vary because a 1 Ton has bigger axles but is there a difference in the front springs and the shocks too? Does anyone know a 4x4 store or company on the internet where they sell 1 Ton kits?

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

The reason you don't see the 1 tons listed is because there is not enough demand for them.

The lift companies will and can set you up for the lift for a 1 ton. They will just have to get the proper u-bolts and shocks to fit it.

The springs on aftermarket lifts are the exact same as the 1/2 and 3/4 tons, with exceptions for the longer rear springs. It's the u-bolts that are different.

Just have to call the lift company you have in mind and explain to them what you have. If they don't want to supply you the proper parts, get the springs and find the parts you need to complete it elsewhere.

<font color=red>Only real men drive K30's!!!</font color=red> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yeah, the 1/2 and 3/4 kits will are the same, they just don't have the high rate needed for a 1 ton capacity. I've got a 1/2 ton kit for my K30. In fact, the 1/2 ton is better (softer and flexier) if you use it primarily for off-road and no longer need the 1 ton capacity. If you want to keep the 1 ton capacity, then you'll have to do some calling and it will probably cost more.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked, 4" lift, 42" tires
    Some day: massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Weren't 1 tons equipped with 56" springs while 1/2 tons equipped with 52"? I know some 3/4 tons had 52" and some had 56". If this were the case a 1/2 ton spring would be too short for a 1 ton. I believe that is also the reason the one tons had different spring hangers (to accomidate the narrower spring perch width and the longer springs). I could be wrong, so please correct me.

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot> click here </a>

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

1/2 tons also came with 56" springs. You have to specify when you order. The 1 tons do have narrower spring hangers, and you are right that it is to accommodate the narrower spring perch, which, in turn, is to accommodate the dual wheel setups and (to a small extent) keep the springs closer to the frame to avoid the weight levering across the hangers to bend the frame. The hangers have no bearing at all on the spring configuration or length.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked, 4" lift, 42" tires
    Some day: massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Cool, Thanks, I learn something new every day!

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot> click here </a>

7. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Years ago I was told by Rancho that the 1 tons sat higher. They needed the extra clearance to clear the larger differentials. I've looked at the neg. arch leafs on 3/4 and 1 tons from about 80 up and they look the same. Me thinks Rancho was full of it. I did end up purchasing a 2 1/2" lift for my 1 ton from Ranch and it lifted it 4". I had to move brake lines and grind my CV ... all of which Rancho said I wouldn't need to. So, disregard everything I just said! If you want the info. for the 4" (errr, umm 2 1/2") lift from Rancho, let me know.

Eric M.

Blown K3500 [​IMG]

8. k30gambi

k30gambi 1/2 ton status

Just make sure you tell them that you have the bolts that go right into the housing on the pass front side and the regular u-bolt on the other, totaling 3-ubolts for the front plus the two bolts. i'm curious to see how the 4-in lift looks on a ton because i've heard things like a 2in looking like a four. my little bros 1/2 has a 4-in with 33s and it looks like my ton with 2-in and 33s. good luck

9. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

If you are looking for a true 1-ton lift call skyjacker. I have the all new spring 6" Heavy-Duty lift. fells exactly the same as the old 1-ton springs and from what i can tell it acts like it still has the same carring capacity, but if you are looking for flex don't get them-1/2 ton springs will be alot better for that.

10. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

That is right. From researching a while back, I found that Skyjacker was the only company that makes the lift springs for an actual 1ton application. Other companies make springs for these trucks too, just not for the 1ton load capacity.

11. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

the frames on 1 tons are actually thicker than 1/2 tons...that is a lot of the reason they sit higher...

i have a friend that has a 1 ton with 6 and 2 on it and it sits as high as my blazer with about 10"...

Later

Just tap it in...tappity tap tap...

12. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

wow a 1 ton truck! I envy you. Mines got the axles but not the frame :(. 1 tons are so rare I've only seen a few on the street.

1986 GMC Jimmy 6" springs 3" body, 38/15.5/15 Swampers, 14-bolt FF rear, Dana 60 front, 1991 front-end.