Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suspension lift plan? Need input!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gmcjimmy88, Mar 8, 2005.

1. gmcjimmy88

gmcjimmy88 1/2 ton status

I was originally looking into a 6 or 8 inch susp. lift, but upon reading alot of posts here I seem to be thinking something different. I am now plaaning on a shackle flip for the rear with a 3-4 spring and a zero rate. Thinking of either a 6-8 inch spring for the front. Would this be level? I dont mind the rear an 1 higher do to weight leveling it out at the trails. Any input would be very helpful. Trying to plan several times and buy once. Thanks. By the way this will be going on an 88 gmc jimmy with 10 bolts front and rear. Planning on 36-38x12.50x15 tires. I have no problem trimming to help the fit either, Actually I love the idea of trimming less body to leave on the rocks/trails! Thanks again for any input

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

A 4" spring and a shackle flip with a ZeroRate out back with an 8" spring up front would be nice. With tires that large and using a 10 bolt with stock gearing you will break a lot of parts if you do much wheeling. 3/4 ton axles are fairly cheap.

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Oh ya, I forgot to mention that you better plan on spending some coin on driveshaft mods and possibly crossover steering.

4. gmcjimmy88

I plan on upgrading the front and rears. Need to wheel the ones I got until breakage occurs. For some reason wives no like it when you replace good parts. but broken ones are ok. Thanks for the input. You think I would need 8 inch springs up front to make it level?

5. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think a 6" spring up front would make it level. BUT...many people (including me pretty soon :woot: ) clear 39.5's with 6" of lift. I don't think you need to go that high to clear 36-38's unless you're doing it for clearance under the vehicle or mud running. I'm personally going to be running a 4" shackle flip with a 2" add-a-leaf in the rear, and a 4" spring with a 1" zero-rate in front. The spring perches on a d60 are a little taller than a 10 bolt so that should give me the extra inch up front. Clearing the firewall on these trucks seems to be the main problem. Most people that run big tires with little lift relocate the front axle 1-1.5" forward. This can be done easily with a zero rate. Anyways, I'm thinking you could go with 4-6" of lift depending on how much trimming you want to do, and everything would turn out fine.

6. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've got 6" springs front and rear, 2" body and zero rate in the front with the axle moved forward. I'm clearing 42s with some mild trimming.
    [​IMG]

7. gmcjimmy88

Thanks for the input guys. I think I will go with the 4 inch up front with a zero rate. I could always get an add-a-leaf if needed to level it. shackle flip in the rear with 3 inch spring and a zero rate. Also thinking of getting the 1 inch body lift. Thanks again everyone

8. ilikeitloud

ilikeitloud 1/2 ton status

i run 6in springs upfront with a zero rate and fit 42s with some fender trimming