Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suspension Lift Question - Help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Nov 8, 2000.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I own a 1978 Jimmy... Typical 350 4blt main (new engine) TH350 etc... it has the 3.73 gears in it... Rear has posi in it... I am getting ready to put a 4 inch lift and 3512.5R15 BFG AT's on it this weekend... I bought a complete kit... arm, front springs, rear blocks, shocks, brake lines, etc... Am I going to need to worry about any drive line angles? Someone said on another board maybe a transfer case problem? Something about droping the transfercase an inch??? Wouldnt I have to drop the entire drivetrain if I did that? PLease help... Anyone with a 78 Jimmy/Blazer with a 4 inch lift and 35's imput would be appreciated...
    Thanks

2. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Am I going to need to worry about any drive line angles? That depends. Some Blazers will need to get lengthend shafts but most will be ok. You shouldn't worry about it too much with a 4 inch lift.
    Someone said on another board maybe a transfer case problem? Something about droping the transfercase an inch?? If there is vibration you can drop the t case. This is simple and doesn't cost too much.
    Wouldnt I have to drop the entire drivetrain if I did that? If I'm correct (which i might not be), the entire drivetrain has to be dropped. But you can lower the T case only but thats difficult and costs a lot.
    If you're going with a 4 inch suspension lift and 35s you're going to have to trimm the fenders a bit. You can also buy a 1 inch body lift from ORD (Off Road Desing) and the blazer will require less trimming.
    Good Luck.
    L8r
    chevy4x4

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]K5[​IMG]

3. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

What do I need to do the trimming of the fenders.. any patern to follow... or just have fun... make them look the same... What about the back...
    Thanks!

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

4. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

The driveshaft may have to be lengthened, but it depends on the truck. You can lower the transfer case for free actually, what you have to do is lower the crossmember, which already has the spacers on it. Just unbolt the crossmember, and lower it a few inches with a jack. When you unbolt the crossmember, there are I think 4 bolts that have spacers between the nut (which faces down) and the crossmember. To lower the transfer case, simply take these spacers and put them between the frame and the crossmember. This shouldn't take too long, and it makes less vibrations from teh driveshaft. I don't really know how well it works, because someone lowered mine before I bought my truck but there was a post about this about this less than a month ago.

90K5

6. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

Check the fit of the tires before you cut. I ran 35x12.5's on 15x10 rims for about a year and a half on my '73 with a four inch lift and didn't rub once. But I also don't do any real offroad yet.

-Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com