Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

suspension lift question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gmcman355, Jan 30, 2006.

1. gmcman355

gmcman355 Registered Member

I've got an 89 jimmy that i want to put on 39.5x18 boggers. Was wondering if any body had any suggestions on the lift to use. I have been looking at either the skyjacker or superlift kits and will probably combine with a body lift. Any known problems or extra parts I will need for this setup greatly appreciated.

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

How many inches of lift are you wanting?

3. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

everything you're looking for is right here

4. gmcman355

I figured 11 inches should do the trick

5. gmcman355

is eleven inches of lift going to be enough do i need more or less
    dont want it to tower over tires but do need room for flex

6. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

are you expecting the truck to flex and not roll over with 11" of lift? in my opinion, 11" is well into mall crawler territory - infact, i think it's all the way into the food court. how about you search and find out that if you're serious about flex and wheeling, most guys are running between 4" and 6" lift with serious fender trimming.

7. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    a friend of mine has an 86 K5 and he was set on running 39.5 boggers since he got a really good deal on them. we put a 6" skyjacker lift on it with some minor/ "smart" fender trimming. it still rubs a bit @ full stuff but he's happy with its performance. so if you want to lift it just right with no fender trimming and you want to use a body lift, then get a 6" susp lift and 2/3 body lift. but most people on here will suggest a 6" lift and fender trimming or a 4" lift and LOTS of fender trimming. just make sure you know what you want BEFORE so that you won't go off wasting money.

456.jpg

123.jpg

8. gmcman355

i should have defined flex i'm not rockcrawling at all but do run wooded trails
    and throw it into all the mud i can find. If six inches will clear the tires without ripping my fenders off i'm all for it. I've got a 90 stepside with a six inch suspension and 3 in body to clear 37s and have experienced some minor rubbing. Based on that I took a guess at what it would take to clear 39.5s

9. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If you trim the bottom of the fenders you should clear. I'm debating on going to 40" boggers, but then i don't care about the body on this truck....

10. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Move the front axle forward an inch and a half. Cut the front fender, in front of the wheel, off at the inner fender. Trim a couple of inches off at the bottom of the rest of the wheel openings. Do that and use a 6" lift and you will be fine. I run a 4" spring and a zero rate on my front 60 and just barely rub. I will be adding some flex in the future and I will do more trimming.
    BTW I run a 39.5 Pitbull Rocker.

11. gmcman355

which 6in lift do you guys recomend

12. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

BDS or Tough Country

13. RGV72BLAZER

good choices with a lower spring rate but will swag quicker than say a superlift or skyjacker spring which are a bit stiffer...again it ALL comes down to what YOU want. more articulation = bds/tci. less artik, stiffer ride, longer life = superlift/skyjacker. me personally, if I was intending to do what you're planning on doing, I'd go with superlift. but if you want great performance for those wooded trails, get a tci. but if you want the ultimate, get custom springs :)

14. rusty75k5

rusty75k5 Registered Member

Will a 6" and some fender trimming clear 37's? I was thinkin of maybe goin to an 8", but that seems like a lot. I got no problem trimmin the fenders, there's a lot of rust to get rid of anyway. Will that give good articulation, or rub a lot?

First post, happy to have found the site.

15. RGV72BLAZER

i believe the 6" lift will clear the 37s with no rub...might rub on the inner fender but i doubt it. i had a 3" susp lift with 35s on my 72 and rubbed the inner fenders a bit. 4" will clear 35s, 6" clears 37s, 8" clears 39.5x12.5. get a 4" lift and trim those fenders to clear 37s :saweet: or maybe even a 2" lift since you don't mind trimming those fenders

16. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I'm going in the same direction as you're talking about with my project. I put on a 6in skyjacker lift and a 2in body. With the 39.5's sitting with no rims It looks like I'm gonna need to trim quite a bit. I am also either gonna move the spring hangers themselves or just get some of ORD's zero rates to move the front forward some. With out the movement it looks like firewall clearence is gonna be a problem with the front flexed if they're turned at all

17. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

My suspension provides ~4.5" of lift, and with 3" body lift and minor trimming my 38.5x14.5's don't rub at all, even at while flexing.

Mike

18. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i'd go 6" TC or BDS with a 1" bodylift and cut your fenders as needed.. you can always add zerorates for an extra 1" and to move the tire off the firewall..

19. rusty75k5

rusty75k5 Registered Member

I've checked out the TC and BDS 6", the TC offers a 52" or 56" leaf spring. What's the difference between these, is one better than the other, or do I need to modify to fit one or the other?

Thanks again guys, I'm pretty new to this stuff. :1zhelp:

20. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

well, those are rear springs... almost all Blazers (everyone i've ever seen) and some Burbs are 52 stock... 56's on some 3/4 stuff.. 56's will give you better flex and ride, but the rear shackle will need to be move back on the frame...

i wouldn't run 6" springs in the rear tho. run a combo of shackle flip and lift spring. far superior ride and flex as opposed to all spring.. shackle flips swap out that rear spring hangar so its a perfect time to move it back and run 56's... check out http://www.offroaddesign.com/ or http://www.diy4x.com/main.htm for shackle flip stuff.. maybe a 4" flip and some 2" springs or whatever combo you want to get the height..