Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suspension Lift Question

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyUp, Mar 28, 2002.

1. JimmyUp

JimmyUp Registered Member

Hello there,

I am contenplating going from my current configuration of a 4-inch lift and 33's to a 6-inch suspension lift with 35's on my 72 GMC Jimmy. I am curious to know what the downside might be to going with a bigger suspension lift. Aside from the obvious (swapping the leaf springs, replacing the shocks, actually installing a new pitman-arm) what things will I have to change to account for the taller lift and tires?

Also, if I decide to do it I would be looking to sell my 4-inch lift (springs front and rear) and 6-shocks if anybody is interested or knows someone who is.

I look forward to getting your feedback. Thanks!

2. cleszkie

cleszkie 1/2 ton status

I would like to get first dibs on the lift springs and shocks. When would you be pulling them out, how much, and where are you? Let me know. Thanks.

BTW, I'm in southern California. Shipping costs are not a problem, however if you were close enough I'd do the drive. Fill out your profile.

3. trukman1

trukman1 1/2 ton status

Actually, a dropped steering arm usually comes with most complete kits. That is usually all you really need to offset the increased lift. Also, if clezkie doesn't purchase the 4" lift, let me know, I would be interested if they will be available soon. I'm located in Ohio.

4. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

I did the same. When I went from a 4" lift to a 6"(8" rear) lift I had to get a longer front driveshaft (I was limping around with a stock front shaft).

Oh .. and no longer fitting in the garage with the hard top off

5. JimmyUp

I am located just outside of Seattle Washington. I plan on pulling the springs this month (April). I would really like to sell the lift, shocks and tires in one package if possible. If not, I will seperate the tires from the lift. I will be asking $400 for the lift and shocks. Remember, springs front and rear (no blocks). i think this is s fair price as I paid around $750 for everything.

Before I go forward with the lift swap I want to be sure i am not overlooking anything. How much will the front driveline need to be extended? What about therear driveline? What about brake lines?

Also, will a 6-inch lift (without any trimming or a body lift) clear 35s or 36s?

Thanks!

6. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

My buddy recently put in a 4"/6" Skyjacker system and now wants to go 6"/8" too. I think that you've got all of the particulars summed up already, at least those are the points of concern that my buddy is mulling over.

7. cleszkie

cleszkie 1/2 ton status

JimmyUp - Are you including the steering arm with the lift? Also, are there any shims required for the spring perches, and are they included with the lift. Lastly, what kind of tires are you selling (size, make, wear, etc) and how much $?

Thanks.

8. JimmyUp

The 4-inch lift I have did not come with a drop-pitman arm. I have had NO problems and if I thought I needed it I certainly would have bought one. There are shims for the spring perch in the rear. I would obviously include these.

Also, The tires I have are 33-inch BFG's. The tires have less than 5,000 miles on them. I don't drive my truck all that much.

I am going to ask $800.00 for the Lift (includes all hardware it came with), six shocks, and four 33-inch BFG's.