Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suspension lift question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ZfromNJ, Oct 17, 2002.

1. ZfromNJ

ZfromNJ Registered Member

Can anyone tell me what is the difference between a suspension lift kit or a suspension lift kit? Explain this to me like I am a two year old. Thanks.

Anthony /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Did you mean difference between a suspension lift and a body lift?
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Well if that was your question, the K5 is three levels:
    a Body placed on a frame which is suspended on the axles.
    Your goal is to put bigger wheels so you need more space between the body and the axles.
    3 ways to do that:
    either distance between the frame and the body = body lift
    or distance between frame and axles = suspension lift
    or both.
    When you have a suspension lift you also get more clearance between the ground and the frame, with the body lift you don't.
    The suspension lift is a little more envolved costly and raises the center of gravity higher than the body lift because you also lift the weight of the frame higher.
    The body lift is cheap has few issues to deal with but doesn't offer any more clearance for the frame.
    So how old did you say you were? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

or maybe you mean the difference between a supenstion lift kit and a lift kit like the magazine adds say? in that case the suspention lift is where you get new springs front and back, the regular (cheaper) lift kits you just get blocks to shove between your springs and axle. Save your money untill the suspension lift kit can be purchesed.

4. jackedjimmy350

jackedjimmy350 1/2 ton status

or a suspension "system" usually comes with rear springs, while most "kits" come with rear blocks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. ZfromNJ

ZfromNJ Registered Member

so is it ok to just get the kit and use the blocks and not go with the shocks all around? I know the difference between a suspension and a body lift. I just think that a suspension is much better then a body lift.
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Kit and system I would go with the system, unless you don't want to wheel it hard. Blocks tend to promote for axle wrap, and no you can't have a lift without changing the shocks on four corners, unless your shocks mount on the springs? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    Sorry for my first message but you didn't have any difference between the 2 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    good catch guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif