Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suspension Lift- What did I forget

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by odoa3, Sep 9, 2004.

1. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I am going to be putting on six inch BDS springs in the front and back. Adding on ORD greaseable front and rear bushings, ORD front shackle and main eye bushing kit, and the steering box brace. So, what other parts will I be needing, other than brake lines?

Right now I have a 12 bolt and D44. I will be putting in a 14 bolt and 8 lug D44 before too much longer. Want to rebuild both before I put them in. Will there be any issues with putting the lift on and then swapping in the other axles at a later point?

This is my first lift so want to be sure I have everything before I jump into the process.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The only problem is that you'll need new rear u bolts when you go to swap in a larger axle.

Be prepared for a very stiff ride.

3. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Be prepared for a very stiff ride.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even with BDS?

4. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Are BDS supper stiff? I have never had any experience with BDS- just going on the life time warrenty and the recommendations off of here.

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

BDS are not stiff springs, IIRC they are one of the softest on the market. Tim may be referring to the rear, which would ride better with a shackle flip, and 2" or so springs.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Anything with lift springs in the rear, in my experience, rides like a big empty dump truck.

6" springs, even fronts, are pretty stiff compared to stockers. 6" springs are often much stiffer than 4" of similar design.

Softening up the rear and using good shocks is a must if you intend on driving this on the road a great deal.

7. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I have two and half inchs of lift right now- so I kind of have a rough ride as it is. Plus it is not a daily driver.