Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

suspension lift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gmcman, Apr 18, 2006.

1. gmcman

gmcman Registered Member

I want to lift my 81 gmc 1/2 ton up 3".I was thinking of building 3" blocks to put under all 4 corners.Is it not a good idea to put blocks under the front axle.I plan to put 35's on it but most of my driving will be town/country,very little off-road.I realize I will have to change the steering arm to line up steering components.I was told that if I put blocks under the front that I should weld the blocks to the axle.Any help or advice would be appreciated.You can also email me at wadelevy@yahoo.ca Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2006
  2. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

First off, blocks up front are usually a negative topic around here. Some run them, some people are totally against it. I would get springs made at a spring shop before I would use blocks up front. But use the search feature and see what you come up with.

3. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Brocky's right. Front block are generally a no-no even if they are welded to the axle. Now many use a Zero rate add a leaf from ORD, but the main difference is that the zero rate is a solid chunk of metal BOLTED to the spring pack just like a regular add a leaf (just shorter and no taller than an inch). Zero rates and blocks are NOT the same things. Typical blocks are not bolted in, just held in place by the ubolts.

Use lift springs up front. Buy them used (here or local)if you are low on budget. Or get a cheap lift kit with springs (front) and blocks for the rear. I got mine for just under $300 with shocks and the steering arm. Then save up for a shackle flip for the rear to rid yourself of the rear blocks.

Do some searching and you will come up with TONS of info on the subject.

4. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

works great if you live in tennesse...:D j/k

5. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Its not that, blocks under the front axle are NOT safe, and imho are not acceptable under any circumstances. I dont even like blocks in the rear. Get some axle hop going, and those rear blocks like to spit out. With the added stresses of turning, and the weight of the engine up front, blocks under the front springs is NOT acceptable. Whatever you do, dont put blocks up front. You are endangering yourself, and anyone around the truck. Now, with that said, i am not trying to flame you. Im just stressing not to put blocks under the front. Check out this thread: http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171055
    It shows what can happen to blocks, even in the rear....

For the suspension, get yourself some front lift springs. I run BDS springs and am more than happy with them. Get some gabriel shocks from autozone for hella cheap. You can usually find used steering arms for lifted trucks on here for almost nothing. Then just get some extended brake lines from ord. Add a shackle flip in the rear (or if your really strapped for cash, cut a hole in the rear shackle brackets, and flip the shackle through). Do a search on here for homemade or home brew shackle flip. Ive seen a few rigs done this way and it seems to hold up and work well.....and its free!!! Whatever you do, dont put blocks under the front axle.:shame:
    -Harrison

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The fact that you would consider something so unsafe for "town/country" (read:ROAD) use astounds me. If the block spits out, you are out of control. This is the kind of thing that gives our trucks a bad name.