Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

suspension lift

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by gmcman, May 7, 2006.

1. gmcman

gmcman Registered Member

I was thinking of lifting my 81 gmc 4x4 1/2 ton up.I was thinking of using blocks but was told on here not to use front blocks so I was thinking of buying a lift kit.Just wondering if anyone can tell me how far can I lift before you have to make a lot of changes such as drive shafts ,brake lines,etc.I would like to run 35s so is there a lot involved or would 33s be much simpler.Not going to be doing much offroading ,just driving to work but want it to look mean.lol. Also I have ,I believe 2.73 gears with a 4 speed manual .Is this going to suck for driving.Too high-sped?Will it work ok for just city and country driving? I realize it would not likely be much good for offroad.Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

3. sarasotausmc

sarasotausmc 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I recently got mine lifted 4", all suspension. I wouldn't say there are alot of mods needed still, but there are odds and ends that I know of, and probably a few still that I don't know of. Maybe I didn't look long enough (been here for 2.5 years) and thought I would slap 4" on and drive off, was I ever wrong. What I did learn, new front springs and shackle flips are the way to go. Things that I can think of that I didn't consider are:
    replacing bolts that had to be cut
    replacing the brake lines (heard 4" didn't need it, mine does)
    shocks all the way around
    sway bar disconnect (or just remove sway bar)
    tools I didn't have that I did need and couldn't borrow (grinder)
    bushings that need to be replaced (sway bar, rear springs)
    exhaust mods (tail pipe was in the way of rear springs)
    and all the other stuff that I found out was wrong as me and my Jimmy got intimate.

These are all okay with me. I did learn alot that saved me time and money on other things, and I chalk it down to learning experience. Do a search on the things that you think are important to know, ask about what you can't find. Everyone here will help you out.

4. CB77GMC

CB77GMC 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You could fit 33's now with offset wheel.