Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suspension lift?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Marshall, Jul 20, 2003.

1. Marshall

Marshall 1/2 ton status

I am about to purchase a suspension lift for my 1987 Jimmy. I have been looking around for awile and was thinkin about getting a 4" lift and runnin 33"s. I was just wondering what you guys thought about the suspension systems out there. I kinda want a rancho but not quiet sure on the price(springs all the way around). Then i saw sky jacker and superlift, not quite sure on those. Please let me know what kind of experience you have had with these lifts or any suggestions. Also what has to be done when lifting 4". Do i need longer brake lines or anything else?
    Thankyou, Marshall /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Alright, this might get to be long, so bare with me. There are tons of suspension options available out ther for our K5's. You want Rancho, and this is a bad idea. The rancho springs ride very very rough, and will bounce you to hell. I have heard that superlift srpings are pretty stiff. Tuff country makes a very good spring, if you dont mind getting a really soft spring. Soft springs are good because they allow flex, but the also inhibit body roll. Believe it or not, there are cheaper and better options than buying a "kit" and lifting a vehicle using "all springs." Take a look at Echobit, to see "shackle flip" lift for the rear of your truck. It is only $93.00, and will flex better than an all spring lift you would have to buy. The best part is, you can use your stock springs in the rear. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Offroad Design also makes one, it costs more at $185.00, and is a little more difficult to install, but is a very well made product. In my opinion, both are great products and are very well made. As far as the front goes, search around. Tuff country ez rides are a great spring. Though, like I said earlier, they are pretty soft. You might need to run swaybar disconnects with those. Also, another great spring is made by BDS. I dont know of anywhere online that you can buy them, but check their site for a local store. Their springs have teflon pads between the leaves, a high spring rate of (415lbs) i think (somebody correct me if im wrong please), but flex realy really well. They also have a no fine print warranty, and are reasonably priced. I was quoted $253, for 4" front BDS springs and new bushings. Furthermore, not much else is required for a 4" lift. The driveshafts should be ok. Brake lines will be stretched, and may rip out if you unhook the swaybar. Like I was told a while ago, you can just run a 4" lift, or you can run a 4" lift really well with everything you would need to run a 6" lift (i.e.- longer brake lines, longer driveshafts). Anyways, I have talked too much already, so thats just my $.02.
    -Harrison

3. Biguub91

Biguub91 Registered Member

the only thing i could add to that is that if you go with the shackle flip in the rear and new 4" springs in the front the truck is probably not gonna ride level because the old springs in the rear will be sagging. On the subject of springs i have superlift and love them the only comparison i have had is my friends procomps and the procomps ride stiffer and one extra leaf in the pack compared to superlift. However as the previous guy stated there are so many options you could choose different combinations with everything to get exactly what you desire. Maybe if you would specify exactly what the truck is gonna be used for you might get more specific answers

4. Marshall

Marshall 1/2 ton status

i like the idea of the shackle flip, is it pretty strong?What have you heard about sky jacker. I was planning on doing some highway driving and mountain wheelin along with alittle mud. Do i need to re-gear for 33"s?I have 3.73's right now, how will the 33" tires run with 3.73's?
    Thanks again, Marshall

5. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

3.73's and 33's would be fine inmy opinion. My brother has 3.08's and 35's and its not really tht bad. I dont know much about skyjacker, just that they have a name, so you might pay for more tha you get. The shackle flip is very strong. It is actually stronger than the stock shackle on your truck right now. I have never heard of one of them breaking. Anyways, hope that helps.
    -Harrison

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

3.08s and 33s would be absolutely horrible.

With a 700R4, 4.10 gears are ideal with 33s. 3.73 will work ok for now. I wouldn't re-gear to 4.10 from 3.73, not worth the money. Just wait until you want to go bigger, then get 4.56 or 4.88 gears and run 35+" tires that you'll eventually want anyway.

7. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

he is right a shackle flip in the rear using stock springs will not come out perfectly level if you use a 4" front lift. You can install a 1" zero rate in the rear to level it out. The zero rates I am using are homemade from 1" think steel with a hole drilled in the center. But not everyone has access to that size steel and the machines to form it so buying may be your best bet.

In my case I replaced my saggy '79 rear springs with a set from a '90 that didn't sag much at all so I installed a 3/4" zero rate in the front to try to level the ride more as the back was way up there for me.