Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

suspension options

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by alec78, Jun 6, 2003.

1. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

I'm looking at doing a 2 1/2" lift on the K5. I am doing a shackel flip on for the rear. Only question there is since there is more flex and as this is my daily driver, should I also add a sway bar for on road driving?

On the front I'm doing a spring lift. I've priced out springs from the local spring and suspension shop for 3/4t 3 leaf. I also priced out a set of Tough Country 2 1/2" lift HD springs (via ORD of course). They price the same.

Of course there are other upgrades I will be doing during the install (ORD HD frnt spring shackel, greasable bushings, etc), but I was wanting opinions about my plan. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Please don't tell me to go with a taller lift, as I can't get too carried away with this.

Thanks

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Please don't tell me to go with a taller lift, as I can't get too carried away with this.

[/ QUOTE ]
    hey i have 38's under my 2.5in lift /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    hey i have 38's under my 2.5in lift

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot to mention the "minor" fender trimming. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

unless you will be raising the shackle mount point in the rear a shackle flip will give you 4" lift. You using an aftermarket flip kit?

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

ORD makes a 2.5" shackle flip. ORD's shackle flip is a very good product. I would do it again if given the choice.

It is hard to say what spring rate those 3/4 ton springs would be from the local spring shop. You can get the spring rates for a 4" lift here:
    http://coloradok5.com/springratetable.shtml
    I am sure the 2.5" springs would be simmilar.

As to the rear being softer/harder when you flip the shackle it really isn't enough to notice. The only down side handling wise it the extra 2.5" of height /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

If you are going to be doing alot of towing or think there is too much body roll when you get it hooked up then look into a sway-bar for the rear (and maybe even a stiffer one for the front). Just make sure you put disconnects on it if you intend to wheel it (I would hope you will because you are lifting it).