Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suspension plans.. tell me what you think

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXsizeK5, Nov 16, 2002.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Ok, I need to go smaller since I will have to be able to fit inside a parking garage when I go to college. right now, I would just about scrape the roof, or have about 1/2 and inch if that. I want to eventually go 36x12.50 TSL rad.
    Anyway, i have a ghetto riged 6" that i bought it with. I was thikning about going a 4" ez ride spring up front and shackel flip or just blocks. (from ORD)

Now my question is... On the front, can i just cut back to the inner fender and weld the outer fender and cut a few inches horizontally from the front of it, will that make enough clearnce for 35x12.50 BFG right now, and eventually 36x12.50 TSL? Or do I need to cut more? or do something else? I was also thinking of cutting an inch around or two from the back fenders and having my buddy weld fender lips to it. And we are gunna bed line around an inch or so over the fenders instead of flares... much cheaper. Tell me what you guys think. Any suggestions? Thanks

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Park it outside if it won't fit in the garage. If this is more for storage, let some air out of the tires to get it in and out. I'm just dead set against lowering anything, and all for raising them higher.

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

check out the bottom link in my sig. it'll show how much and where to cut.

With major hacking and a 4" lift, 36's will work well. you will have a nice low center of gravity and you can get away with 37's where the new Krawlers come out.

4. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

When I bought my K5 it had a 3" body lift and 5" suspension lift with blocks.

I bought from ORD, 4" EZ ride tuff country springs (I love em) and 4" shackle flip. I bought a set of 86 K5 springs (tapered edges and teflon padding) to use in the rear. Dumped the blocks. I couldn't be happier with the suspension now. It rides almost as smooth as a car and it flexes like mad. I had 35x12.50 BFG Mt's that fit just fine. They did rub the fender well a bit under full stuff, but that was dealable. I have since cut the fenders back a bit.

5. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

But you had a 3" body lift on top of that, or did you take it off?

6. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I took it out. That thing was nasty offroad. All kinds of body flex and the Center of Gravity sucked back then when I still had it too. Now that I have ONLY 4" of lift, well 5" in the rear, 4 5/8" in front, I'm happy with it.

7. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

With your 4" ez rides up front and rear shackel flip... was it even? or did the back kind of sag... cause i might get some zero rates for the back.