Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suspension Q's

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BRN78BLAZER, Mar 19, 2003.

1. BRN78BLAZER

BRN78BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Suspension Q\'s

My rig rides horribly, to the point that its almost hard to control. Shocks are 1 year old, with 6 months driving on them, no cracked leafs, sits perfectly level, no front sway bar. My dads 79 blazer has cracked leafs which are held together with a c clamp and sags in the back rides much better with origional shcks and a sway bar.

Before I do anything major I'm gonna put a front sway bar on, and try reversing the overload springs(just read about that). The front is more floaty than the 79, my guess is cause theres no sway bar???

I really want to get it ridding better does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? This weekend I'm doing my clutch so it will be the weekend after, I do this.

2. KShortell

KShortell Registered Member

Re: Suspension Q\'s

A front sway bar will definitely help you out. One other thing you can do is install Edelbrock's Performer IAS shocks. I put a set on a couple of years back and they do actually work as advertised! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Other obvious things are to have the alignment checked and to check for loose ball joints, tie rod ends, control arm bushings, etc.

Good luck!

Kevin
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

3. BRN78BLAZER

I figure the problem is not in the shocks as they are fairly new and when test them the vechle stops bouncing after one cycle. But how did yours work out? What was the ride like before/after? Mine right now, if you were to go over a bump in the road, its as if the supension drops down and the vehicle sort of floats, but not the nice kind of floating. More like the suspension goes on way and the rest of the vehical wants to go another way. The alignment is good, and ball joints/tie rods are good.

I'm thinking that maybe it's in the rear springs kinda like they flex too much?? But also ride to stiff?? Make any sense??

Its puzzling. The mechanic that did the alignment didn't know why it rode so bad?

I have heard some guy's put ford leafs in the back?? If I do change the springs would that be better than new ones??

I'm really up the creek on ths one, any help is greatly appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks so far Kevin

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ford leaves flex alot more than gm 56" ones, is your problem that the truck bounces over bumps or flexes too much ?

shorter springs bounce more and longer ones flex and bob like a boat on waves more, bad shock make truck bob aound over bumps also, before 73 or maybe a little later 1 tons didnt come with rear shocks since werent std equipment on them except when were ordered spcifically or if HD rear was ordered or sometimes when dually rear R05 conversion was ordered, the rear on them bounces stiff cuz of so many leaves in the packs

good luck

5. BRN78BLAZER

I've determind that the rear springs are too stiff, and it the rear of the vehicle bouncing around that gives it such a harsh ride. I did notice that there is very little gap between the leafs and the overload, like 1/2 inch at the very back at most(more like 1/4-3/8"). Hopefully reversing them will allow more flex and somewhat cure the stiff ride.

Thanks so far.

6. BRN78BLAZER

Re: Suspension Q\'s(UPDATE)

I reversed my overloads today, What a difference!!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif It rides great now, only it did sag down a little bit, so threw some blocks in just to lift it a little and eliminate the sagging rear.