Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suspension Question for 2002 Tahoe

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Scott600, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Scott600

Scott600 Newbie

Hello all,

I've got a 2002 2wd Tahoe and the left front was about a 1/2" lower than the right front so the dealer tried to adjust the torsion bars to compensate for it. After adjusting the left torsion bar stud almost fully in and the right torsion bar stud almost fully out, the front body heighth is now within 1/4". He then had to adjust the camber on the alignment. Trouble is, now the truck feels like it rides firmer on the driver's side and softer on the passenger's side when hitting bumps. When I first got the truck, it felt pretty good ride heighth wise, but after a trip through NY city to CT I must have inadvertantly hit about 50 potholes and that's when I noticed the slight sag on the front drivers side. Anyway, is there possibly some suspension component that is damaged to have to counter adjust the torsion bars so much? Thanks for any help.

2. chevelless502

chevelless502 Registered Member

I would have a hard time having to adjust the torsion bars that much differnt from one side to the other. It no wonder it rides harder on one side now vs the other side. They had to adjust the low side so it had more tension on it in order to compensate for the sagging. I have heard of stories where a vehicle is tightened down so much on the transports that it springs the suspension. If it were mine I would start with the dealership putting two new torsion bars on it and then doing a full front alignment on it. If that doesnt do it then move on to control arms then to the frame. I woulnt settle for keeping it the way it is now, it will probably chew the front tires right off of it.

Andy

3. chevelless502

Scott, I just re read yor post and saw that its a 2wd tahoe. As far as I know the 2wd dont have torsion bars on them. I think they are just coil springs like the old trucks are. Anyone correct me if I am wrong on this. All of the same should hold true for it except they should be changing springs instead of torsion bars.
    Andy

4. Scott600

Scott600 Newbie

Thanks for the input and reply Chevelless. Actually, all 2002 Tahoes with 2wd come standard with the premium suspension which includes torsion bars on the front. I called the dealer back and they thought the spec for drive height on each side was +/- 3/4", but they were not sure. I like your idea about replacement of the torsion bars. Are they the most likely component to bend slightly and cause this sag? Also, is it a big deal to replace these, I've had such bad luck with dealers in the past that I would hate for them to screw something else up on the truck. Thanks again for your help.

5. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Not too much to replace them. Theres different ways of doing it, either by dropping the front a-arm all the way down by disconnecting the upper a-arm to relieve tension, or using the special T-bar removal tool thingy. Which is what they will probably do so they shouldn't be able to mess too many things up.

As far as the torsion bars, you could have gotten a faulty one, I've seen it happen before. Either the material was bad or maybe they put the wrong one in. Either way it's spring rate is not correct.

6. Scott600

Scott600 Newbie

Thanks for the extra help. Just talked to the dealer and they said they don't think the torsion bars are bad. So then I asked them what other component could cause the sag and they didn't have an answer. Then I said wouldn't it make the most sense to replace them first and see where we are? Then they said they would have to see the truck again. So that's where I'm at now. Looks like I may have to call GM headquarters to get some action on this unfortunately. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

7. chevelless502

Scott,
    Where ya from? Maybe I can try to get you some help. I would really be upset with them if you buy a $30,000 plus vehicle and then they dont want to be of any help on it. I would get ahold of GM like you said and also look at a different dealership for maintenence.
    Andy

8. chevelless502

Did ya find out anything yet on the problem?
    Andy