Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suspension question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Atom Eyes, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Atom Eyes

Atom Eyes Registered Member

Hello everyone. I am the original owner of a 1989 K5 with 152,000 miles. She needs a lot of rust repair, but the most pressing need at this point lies with the suspension and tires. I want to upgrade from my present bald 32 inch BFGs with steel 8 inch wide rims to 33s with 10 inch aluminum rims. My main question is, can I put on some new shocks to replace my trashed originals (yes they are original) without replacing the springs as well? I definitely do not want an actual lift kit, as even a two-inch one seems too high. I've seen a few nice looking trucks with 33s and fender flares which have a perfect stance and seem to not have a "proper" lift. I can never find their owners to ask them questions. I also need to know exactly which shocks I need to buy which will give me that slightly higher stance (I have the factory quad front shocks). Thanks for any help, it will be greatly appreciated.

2. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

THe shocks do nothing but smooth out the ride and control body movement......they will not affect the stance of the vehicle at all.

Thats all in the springs....

3. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

This was in a thread a few days ago but. I have 10 inch wide rims for my 33's but I can't turn with them on. I am using 8 inch wide rims right now. So ya you will have to trim the fenders and decide if you want fender flares. Also picking your shocks depends, some are stiffer, some are softer. What kind of ride are you looking for. If soft, go with a low end replacement. Don't buy Rancho if you want a soft ride, I have them and they beat me up. :)

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

10" wheels probably rules them out (I'm sure it's doable, IMO it would at least look odd) but 10.5" wide 33's are the only ones that will work without hitting the fender while turning.

Even then I won't go so far as to guarantee that the 33x10.5R15's will clear, almost nothing is absolute, but in MY case, (and others so far) with stock wheels, that size tire will be fine with no lift. 33x12.5R15 you can pretty much guarantee yourself to rub while turning/flexing.

5. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Save yourself the trouble and remove crome trim around wheel wells now. lol Mine is almost all tore off. :D

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Time to :hack: