Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suspension question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Atom Eyes, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Atom Eyes

Atom Eyes Registered Member

Hey.

I am the original owner of a 1989 K5 with 160,000 miles. What I want to know is, will it hurt if I replace only my original worn-out shocks (factory quad front) and not the springs as well at the same time? I ask because I'm on a pretty limited budget. Also, if I plan on eventually installing a 2-inch spring lift, are there special shocks I need to purchase in anticipation of that? I've already been advised here to stay away from the Ranchos. The way my truck is now, it's obviously rattling both itself and its passengers to death! Thanks.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Nope, should be fine. Also, unless you plan on doin' desert racing at some point, you don't need 4 shocks on your front end... 2 is plenty and cheaper too.

You could get longer-than-stock shocks, sure.

if you're on a real budget, just go to the parts store and get some gabriels. They are like $20 a shock, and these days most sub-$100 shocks use the same tech anyway. Using an application book at the part store, you should be able to find some that are longer than stock. Don't wanna go to long, of course, because then you might bottom them out.

j

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Buy your springs from ORD(offroaddesign.com) then get their shocks(37.00 I think). They will tell you what the proper setup is.

4. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

I know some shock companies, Rancho, Skyjacker, Superlift make shocks that are for say 0-2inches lift, 4-6 inches etc. So you wshould be fine. If you want to go from quad shock to regular 2 shocks make sure you replace the right shock. They are not the same. One is the same as factory one shock per wheel and the other is like a helper. They have different part #'s.