Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suspension question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlazinNewTrails, Sep 26, 2002.

1. BlazinNewTrails

BlazinNewTrails Registered Member

Ok, just broke out the measuring tape and the Blazer I bought with a 4" Rough Country lift has 2 3/4" rear blocks. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif
    The bottom leaf is wider at the ends(kinda flaired out) is this a stock leaf or maybe an "add-a-leaf" to make up the other 1"??? Or is this just a 2 1/2-3" lift?

The guy I bought it from said he thought the steering stabilizer was getting weak because the truck has been darting around when it goes over expansion joints, etc.

Well I've noticed that the front springs are WAY stiffer than the rear, (the lift used new spring packs in the front and blocks in the rear). It has Rough Country shocks all around. The truck "corners" really well(nice and flat) but I've noticed things like lane changes over a hump or bumps on the highway really get the truck out of shape. I'm thinking the rear needs to be stiffer. It feels like the rear sways then and kinda gets the front to follow.
    If I put adjustables on and ran them on "stiff" would that help?
    I don't have a rear sway bar. Do you think that would make a bigger difference?
    I know this is tough without driving it yourself, but I'd appreciate a little educated guessing LOL /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

2. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

Do you have a drop steering arm? Is your frame cracked around the steering box? Are your shocks long enough in the front? are the rear shocks any good? Are your spring bushings good? Just a few things to check.

3. BlazinNewTrails

Well, I've got my list and tomorrow I'll check it twice. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
    It'll be easier to see in the daylight. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    The steering feels good but the rear end feels like the shocks are wasted. I'd think the Rough Country's would be better than that(I'm sure these are thier lower end shocks and I'm also reasonably sure they are the ones that came with the lift).
    When going over a speed bump at 5mph or so the front suspension barely moves(if at all) the rear compresses and rebounds a couple times.
    The previous owner said the steering arm was new but didn't say if it was a drop arm or not. It's not a very big lift so I don't even know if a drop is necessary.
    Like I said... tomorrow I'll go over it better and see what I come up with.
    Thanks for the suggestions Jeffro!

4. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

where you at in washington?

5. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

You probably only have a 2 1/2" lift.

6. BlazinNewTrails

I'm in Lynnwood Reddog, just south of you. :-)

Yep, I think this is only 2 1/2-3" of lift. I was looking at a truck the owner said had a 4" lift and he definitely was a little taller.

Sitting next to my 2001 Ram 1500 Off Road(factory 2" lift on 33's) the Blazer is definitely taller.

Not to mention better approach angle and much better turning radius due to shorter wheelbase. :-)

7. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

If you've got the quad front shock option, it may help to remove two of shocks. I did so with mine and it made a quite a nice difference. Something else I bet 99% of rigs need is to adjust the slop in the gearbox.Worn out tie rods , ball joints , and steering rod may also cause wander or the truck to dart.
    Jim