Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suspension questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by smprider112, May 1, 2004.

1. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

I recently purchased an 85 blazer with a 6.2 diesel, now I plan to make it a little more off road ready. So I have a few questions, first im going to put some 35x15.5x15 swampers on it. I plan on only a 4" lift, will this work without fender cutting? or will I need to do a little trimming? also will I need to get longer drivelines and stuff? basically I wanna know EVERYthing im going to need to get this going. I have never done a lift b4 so this is going to be a little new to me. So if anybody has any tips at all I'd be really grateful. Heres a few things I DO know I will need...Lengthened brake lines (the kit Im getting has them), Drop steering arm, and thats about it. Am I also going to need to re-gear for the 35'S? I was told it has 4.10 gears. my main concern is really the drive lines tho... will I need longer ones or can they be lengthened or with only a 4" lift will it not really be a problem? thanks for any info.
    -Brian-

2. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

There are some guys on here that know better than I do , but that is what I have on my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif w/o the 6.2 and I did not need brake lines, drivelines, or trimming. I am going to put my 36" tsl's on w/ 15x10 rim, and then I will need some /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Drivelines may or may not need lengthening, depending on many factors including the phase of the moon. If you do a rear shackle flip, it'll push the rear pumpkin a bit closer than new rear springs, so what kind of lift changes the driveline needs.

However, I *thought* the diesel Blazers often had much higher gear ratios, i.e. 3.08:1, from the factory. Remember your power curve is almost backwards of a gas and you have stupid torque from the getgo /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The trimming thing depends on how well your new setup flexes and what you do with the truck. My '74 is currently a street truck, and I fit 33x12.5"s with the briefest abuse of the /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif on the front. If I went over anything bigger than speedbumps, I'd likely need to get /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif happy, or actually put on a lift (she's currently stock, and sagging /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

In your case, with 4" of lift and the wider tires, you might see a little rub at full turn on the street, and depending on your springs and the phase of the moon, you might rub at full stuff.

Even if you post the exact setup you're planning on installing, I respectfully submit that no-one here can predict exactly what you'll end up facing, and you'll have some extra little bit that jumps up at the end. What's the adage about the first half of a project taking the first 90% of the time...

and the other half of the project takes the other 90% of the time. This is why we like working on our trucks. (Right? It's enjoyable, right? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

-- A