Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suspension questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shanemcg45, Feb 22, 2005.

1. shanemcg45

shanemcg45 Registered Member

Ok here's my situation. As much as I'd love to be able to have a daily driver and a strictly off-roader, I just can't afford it. The suspension is shot on my '85 K5, so while replaing it I'll just add a lift. I just put a set of 33x12.50's on 15x10's. I've got a body mount kit and 1" lift on order from ORD. I don't want to put any more than about 3" of suspension lift on the Blazer. From what I've read, I can put a 3" Tuff Country lift on the front and the 2-1/2" shackle flip on the rear. Should the truck sit level with this set-up? And I want to replace the rear springs when adding the shackle flip. What springs should I go with? I'm new to all this so please be patient with me. And yes, I've searched previous threads. But most of the information I find is for full fledged off-roaders. Any help would be appreciated.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd try a TC EZ ride 2.5" lift up front and an ORD shackle flip in the rear (2.5" version.) If it sits level great, if not I'd add a 1" zero rate in the rear.

Rene

3. shanemcg45

Should I replace the rear springs with stock sized springs? I won't be doing any towing.

4. MITCH_89'

MITCH_89' Registered Member

3"

[​IMG]
    This was my 89' with 3" Tuff Country springs up front, and 3" blocks and 1" zero rate with factory spring in rear with 33s on 15x10s, just to give you an idea.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You can rebuild your current rear springs. It's not that expensive, but is a little labor intensive and won't cure the sag unless you get them re-arched.

I'm not sure how cost effective it would be to source a new set of stock rear springs either (versus 2.5" lift springs for the rear)

Rene

6. shanemcg45

Thanks guys. That really helps. Thanks for the pic. Mitch. How does it ride?

7. shanemcg45

One more thing... with just a 3 inch suspension lift, is there anything other than the brake lines that need to be done?

8. MITCH_89'

MITCH_89' Registered Member

The only reason I went with a 3" at the time was so I didnt have to do any other mods. I even kept the original brake lines. They were plenty long enough, but that is something to look at. The kit comews with little extension things if you dont want to buy new lines. I also lowered the T-case with a 1" spacer that also came with the kit. As far as how it felt...AWESOME! IMO, nothing touches Tuff Country for ride quality. Go with a good set of shocks to compliment the springs. I bought the Tuff Country SX8000s. I just sold my 3" kit complete with shocks to a buddy for 150.00 yesterday. Mine now sits on a 6" Tuff COuntry. That is when you have to start modifying stuff. Gets expensive quick!
    [​IMG]

9. shanemcg45

Mitch you have helped more than you know. You answered every question I've had and more. I'm wanting to go with just 3" because I don't want to do any major reconstruction either. Once I get the motor and everything else done I'll probably go back to the suspension. Once again I appreciate all the help. I'll keep y'all updated on the progress.

'85 K5
    stock 305
    stock axles
    stock suspension
    33x12.50's on 15x10's