Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

suspension questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5-newf, Nov 21, 2005.

1. K5-newf

K5-newf 1/2 ton status

im wondering witch is a better suspension for a 1980 blazer ?? i would liek to lift it keep it streetable but still have some flex . and wat are the pros and cons of 4 link vs 3 link
    p.s. i will only be using my blazer for bog muddin and trails and some climbing and daily driver oh yeah andm y truck is pretty much stalk so far

2. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

I've got a much better idea...keep it leaf spring. It's cheaper and easier. Mud don't need the crazy flex and leafs are great for trail riding. Leaf springs are good for daily driving as well, they don't have heims to squeak or wear out.

Blake

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

what he said. For mostly mud/street use, I'd just use lift springs at all 4 corners. BDS would be good, they are cheap and have a lifetime warranty. Try JDs Offroad they tend to have the cheapest prices around on BDS stuff.

j

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

What he said x2

5. K5-newf

K5-newf 1/2 ton status

i was thinking leafs until im ready for more serious trials but is there much flex with leafs wat can i do to make it more flexiable ? and wat is a shackle flip?? and thanks for the imput

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

How much lift do you want? shorter lift springs (like 4 or 6") can be relatively flexible, depending on the brand. Tuffcountry EZ ride springs have a really soft spring rate. That said, for mud you don't really want a super soft suspension or lots of flex....

a shackle flip converts a stock trucks rear suspension from a tension-style shackle configuration to a compression-style shackle. Its a good mod if you want to run a small amount of lift because it allows you to use your stock springs which have good flex. If you want more than 4" of lift and will drive mainly in mud and on the street, I'd save my $ and just go with springs all around.

j