Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suspension Questions

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Ryan Melton, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Ryan Melton

Ryan Melton Registered Member

Dec 15, 2000
    I'm using the Greaseable bushing set I got from you on the rear now instead of the front 52's but started thinking (bad thing) and had a couple of questions.

1.) Is there an advantage to using front bushings with the 52" springs in the front since they're wider? They seem like they would provide some additional torsional movement for the springs as they are wider.

2.) Should I go ahead and use 1 3/4" bushings in my upper shackle bushings in the frame mounts I'm fabbing to add some strength? (If I stay with using rear bushings)

3.) On your custom springs did you order then with the bigger 1 3/4" eyes?

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Sep 15, 2000
    I don't see a huge advantage to the wider shoulder bushings, I think that last 1/4" on the outside is basically taking up space. There is a bit more urethane to squish around but I don't think it's too big a deal. Not worth re-fabbing spring hangers for!
    I design rears around the standard 1.5" eyes just since they're standard size and easy to deal with.

Building the upper shackle bushings to take a bigger bushing is a good idea, I'd use a 1.5" OD bushing but if you have 1.75" bushings left, they'll work too. Either way will be much more durable than the little stock bushing.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>