Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

suspension setup questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beater_k20, Jun 28, 2006.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

how does one go about setting up a leaf sprung suspension, with no load on the chassis, or an idea of what said rig will weigh? i've got a K1500 frame im getting ready to SAS the front, and need to know basically where to put my front shackle hanger in relation to my front spring mount. what kind of shackle angles should i shoot for with just the bare chassis sitting in my shop?

how does one go about chosing shocks for a dual shock setup for the front?

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

on mine I measured to find the center pin location. then measured to where I wanted the axel. I set mine so the spring is off set a little forward for spring flex. then measured straight back as if the spring was flat... as it will be when fully stuffed. then moved the shackle upper mount forward a hair to keep the spring from inverting.

3. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Measure lotsa times, take your best guess, tack mounts in place, remove jacks and apply the weight to see how it will sit - then adjust from there.

**edit** ... just re-read your post. weight it down w/ another engine or something... or bolt on your shackle mounts until you can get the truck together, then weld them on afterwards.

Buy adjustable ones like RS9000's that you can "dial in" after you get it going.

Marv

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Heres how i set mine up...(keep in mind im going after droop so i want a good bit of angle)

1. I pick my shackle length (yes, thats right, i pick it first! You may have to change it later but this will give you a great starting point)
    2. I measure the main leaf
    A. Along its radius eye-eye
    B. I stretch the spring to simulate droop then measure from eye to eye.
    3. Subtract shackle length from spring length (this number is the absolute closest you can go without the shackle going back over the spring)

4. Lay it out on paper till i find what i like. Basically I look at how flat the shackle will be at full compression and how drooped out it will be at max droop. i like to stay in the 20* and higher for compression and around 80* for droop. This will ensure i never flip the shackle around or over extend it.
    This way the spring can fully compress/ droop giving great articulation/ ride and performance.

What this wont do is tell you what your angle at ride height will be but to me thats secondary, if the shackle has full range on motion and allows your spring to fully flex thats what your looking for

What is the spring length you would be using? What type of wheeling are you gonna be doing. let me know and ill make up some numbers for you for a good setup for what your looking to do.

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Also dont go dual shocks... your just going to wind up spending more money. even if you buy those brackets just run 1 shock 2 just isnt worth it...

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i'm going to be running a 4" TC EZ Ride. as for shackle length, i really dont have any idea. i dont have a spring here to measure either.

7. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

i dont know how the hell a set of 73-87 springs will work. it took me a hel off alot of time to make my brakets to fit the curve in the frame and my soeingare are 2" onger in the back. idk how its possible to get any amount of angle w/ that type of bracket:confused:

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i just measured, and the nearest that i can get to the original front axle centerline is 26" using an unmodified stock rear hanger.

IMAG0433.JPG

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned