Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suspension Systems Developing a Trend of Problems on GMC--Chevy

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mammoth2, Oct 29, 2005.

?

How has your overall experience been with this product & company

1. Good

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Poor

8 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Mammoth2

Mammoth2 Registered Member

copied this from another forum

Having a wild girlfriend that i adore leaves me with a limited budget and a limited selection of suspension systems for my truck. I saved my money for an entire year and bought this cheaper kit and this problem developed.

I have put 400 miles on the kit so far and was crawling around under my Avalanche truck checking things out when found a problem. There are 2 heim jointed links that run thru windows in the front drop crossmember. They connect from the crossmember to the centerlink. Both of these links have been hitting on the outside of the windows in the crossmember. One of the links (passenger side) is actually bent a little from this contact. Photo is of the passenger side link, you can see the little notch in the crossmember on the right side created by this contact.

[​IMG]

To date I have checked out three HD trucks with ProComp kits, they all have contact here and bent arms on the passenger side...just like mine.

4WP ordered the link last week and it seemed like they wanted to keep the matter quiet. They stated that they would be replacing the bent link and grinding a little clearance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4WP did a really crappy job grinding and spray painting......thier so-called fix to the solution for thier PRO CRAP Suspension Kit. It pissed me off so much, that 4WP owner of Explorer Pro Comp, hasn't even sent out a letter to thier customers to fix this problem, so I filed a compalint with the NHTSA to make PRO COMP replace these parts instead of grinding them down.

[​IMG]

(National Highway Traffic Safety Administration)
    Office of Defects Investigation
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

U.S. Department of Transportation NHTSA
    C/o Office of Defects Investigations
    NSA-10.01, 400 7th Street, SW
    Washington, DC 2059

So then I began running more searches on this company and its Pro Crap Suspension and found out that they are they only company to have a RECALL on thier suspension systems.

[​IMG]

From the trend of problems, it looks like this comapany was not spending enough money on Research & Developement.

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

but seriously why didnt you buy a kit that uses new spindles, that requires no steering mods and not dropping the upper control arm mounting points?

seems like a bad choice to me. maybe the kit was a couple of bucks cheaper than the kits with spindles? steering system looks cheesy to me from the start.

ryan

3. Mammoth2

Last edited: Nov 1, 2005
  4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Lesson 1: Lifting an IFS truck leads to unhappiness.
    Lesson 2: Spending that money on a wild girlfirend instead would have gotten you better pics to post!!!

:thinking:

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Not that I dont feel your pain, I dont think the same problem occured on older 88-98 trucks.

But, could you post some pics of your wild girlfriend? :D

6. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha:

7. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

8. Mammoth2

Standby for the women who leave me with very limited amounts of money that i am forced to live a secret life of crime to support my addictions.....hhheeee

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:bow:

9. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

WOW. Shes hot.
    Anyways......Yes 4wp did fudge that job all up. Looks like it sometimes pays to wait a little longer and get something worth the money. The only thing I own from procomp is their braided stainless steel brake lines. I bought them from ord, not 4wp. Im sorry this happened to you, but hopefully 4wp and/or procomp will make it right. :doah:
    -Harrison

10. Mammoth2

Hey listen,

My brake pedal is really mushy......will those Steel Braided Lines stiffen it up?

GM just announced a huge brake RECALL on 804,000 trucks....i think i might start a new thread on it.

DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors Corp. is recalling 804,000 full-size pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles because of potential brake problems, federal safety regulators said Tuesday.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said unwanted application of the antilock brake system in some vehicles can cause increased stopping distances during low-speed braking and may result in a crash.

Vehicles affected by the recall include the Chevrolet Avalanche and Silverado pickups and the Chevrolet Suburban and Tahoe SUVs. The GMC Sierra pickup and Yukon and Yukon XL SUVs are also affected. All 804,000 vehicles trucks are from the 1999-2002 model years, NHTSA said.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0509/01/E01-298706.htm

GM IS ONLY RECALLING TRUCKS IN SEVERE COLD STATES WHICH IS BULL****......

11. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

They'r recalling it in cold states because the problem has something to do with corrosion from mag chloride. Obviously, you don't get that in Texas or anywhere really down south.

I didn't get pressured to buy Pro Comp stuff. They started telling me about it and I said "No." That's the same argument those 500 lb. people use against Mc. Donalds saying they were pressured to get their meal supersized. In the end, you can still say "no."

What other kit were you looking at besides the Pro Crap?

12. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Seems like buyers remorse. It happens everytime I don't do the research I know I should do. I get stuck with something less than I expected and then I do the research and kick myself in the nuts.

13. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

:haha: Oh yeah....have had that happen before... :doah:

14. Mammoth2

I've been recently impressed with FABTECH and i know that they are gonna come out with coil over shocks for K5's and GM's

15. Mammoth2

IS IT TRUE....ANYONE HAVE ANY INFO????

Transamerican Auto Parts d.b.a. 4 Wheel Parts and it's realated companies have entered into agreement to be purchased by Bear Stearns Merchant Banking.