Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suspension Tech on a 72

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RGV72BLAZER, Jan 24, 2006.

1. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    First, damn it feels good to finally be able to afford the 25 bucks to join the site...lol. so i'll begin asking a few of my million questions today. I have a '72 Blazer that is currently torn apart. My suspension is what i'm trying to figure out right now. For the front suspension, I plan on using 52 or 56" custom built ORD springs with 5-6" of lift & their HD shackle. In the rear, I plan on using a 4" ord shackle flip, 6.5" ord HD shackle, and stock lift 63" springs. i just need the springs to complete the set up. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or gripes? open to anything before i invest more money. i was also wondering if the ord shackle flip and hd shackle will work with the chevy 63" springs? and i plan to run a 42-44 tire with tapered fenders. thanks.

2. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

sounds alright to me i suppose. have you given thought to axles yet?

3. RGV72BLAZER

already have a gm 60 and 14 ff

4. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

<------jealous hehe

my guess is a lot of people will say you'll need more lift than that, but its possible to do it with trimming/narrowing you have in mind.

5. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

One thing I was pretty suprised at was how far forward the rear axle moved after doing the shackle flip. I then used a zero rate to bring it back 1.5 inches which ended up being about right. Might want to plan for that unless your custom springs have a re-centered pin.

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

With the setup you're describing, you're already pulled into the town of SuperCustomville.... population: YOU

With springs that long (both front and rear) you've got plenty of custom hangerwork and re-inforcing to do. Based on that, you can make the ORD stuff work....you'll just need to build the new hangers to accomodate them.

Sounds like a REALLLLLLY soft spring setup....are you setting it up for rocks and technical crawling?

7. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Dearest Gregory,
    I never cease to be entertained by your wittisisms. :rolleyes: I've grown to look forward to them over the years. Keep up the good work;) .
    Jeff

8. RGV72BLAZER

i'm setting it up for trail runs & rocks, but the more & more i think about it, i'm leaning more towards lifting it 15" and running 44s :confused: . i guess i'll find out how my plans unfold. i'll have to figure it out within the next couple of days b/c i'm getting pretty damn tired of switching my suspension set up often :doah:

9. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Welcome to the board! Just sent you a PM, I'm from your neck of the woods originally.

10. LucasJ03

LucasJ03 1/2 ton status

Saw your reply on my post. If your planning on narrowing your front and rear fenders, do that first and the figure out your suspension after. If you do it any thing like mine your ride hight will change in the narrowing process because of multple things like, no hard top, less sheet metal, axle position. That's why I am doing all my body work first then doing my suspension. I'm going to have 56-57" springs in the front and 65-70" springs in the rear and with 42's only about 6" of lift.

11. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

You might find this thread helpful:
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157222

I really liked the picture Greg posted in there. Sounds like your suspension setup will be pretty extreme. At that point, I would guess you are in the area of diminishing returns. It takes a whole lot of work to get that all to work, but if you have your heart set on it... more power to ya! Be sure to post some progress pics.

12. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

What are your plans for steering and front spring mounts?

13. RGV72BLAZER

...well i've been thinking very hard on this topic lately, and my plans have changed...sounds easier to just lift it & run 44s...it's probably the route i'll go instead...build a trail rig when i finish school...