Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

suspension too rough / ordering from ORD from overseas

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by dieselblazer, Dec 19, 2003.

1. dieselblazer

dieselblazer Newbie

Hi @all,
    I´m kind of new to this great forum, but I have been reading CK5 and of course the ORD website up and down with great interest for months.

So here is my first question: My 83 Jimmy (4x4, 6.2 Diesel) is currently running 33x12.5x15 BFGs with a 2“ add-a-leaf (front) and 2.5“ block (rear) and RS5000s, but I don´t like the front suspension at all, it´s very rough.
    Do you think, the tuff country front spring would give me a softer ride, or will I need to get different shocks maybe?
    In case the new springs would make sense, which one would you recommend (nomal 2“ or HD-springs?) because of the heavy diesel engine and dual batteries in front (no winch yet)?

I don´t want to lift it higher because it´s a daily driver (30 mi) and weekend-only moderate offroader and for this use ist fine like it is.

So actually I would be ready to order some parts (incl. swaybar disconnect, steering box brace kit, brake lines, front springs) and therefore my question is: does ORD ship overseas (to germany) also? Payment would be with mastercard.
    If yes, which forwarder would you suggest for lowest shipping rates? (I recently purchased a Banks exhaust kit from the US and had it delivered by UPS without any problems, although expensive!)

Very much looking forward to get your commentas!

mike
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I would recommend the 2" HD springs and you should be happy with the ride, the heavy motor, radiator and batteries will make the springs behave quite nicely. For shocks, I'd look into a set of bilsteins (should be somewhat local for you right?) and maybe some extended shock mounts.
    The rest of your recipe sounds good.

We do ship to germany, we've been using the postal service since they have pretty good rates, despite the fact they whine like little girls when they have to carry a heavy package.

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Your lucky, you got a reply from the man himself. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Harrison

4. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

HOLY CRAP!! Another K5er in Germany. Do you know places to drive for fun. I live in Darmstadt and theres not too much there. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

mike, you should have everything possible shipped through the post office. you only pay shipping to your APO in NY. DOD picks it up from there. definitely look into some shocks if you are running rs 5000s - i think they are very hard ridding shocks. although a bit pricy, i like the adjustable 9000s.

6. dieselblazer

dieselblazer Newbie

@ 87BrnRsd:
    YES, I am! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

@ dleroy43:
    Hey, we almost have a hole community here of ex-army vehicles (mostly M1009 and M1008), I am almost the only civilian Jimmy around here. I bought my truck 1989 in Los Angeles.
    We have a place here to drive for fun, just check www.offroadpark-langenaltheim.de .
    Its not very large, but we make it being funny everytime we meet there with some trucks...
    Would be great to see you there... PM me!

@mccomas:
    that sounds interesting, but I thing you need to explain it to me a little bit further, if you don´t mind...
    What means APO and DOD? NY I guess is New York, ok?
    For the shocks, of course the 9000 would be great, do you have personal experience with them? For how many years will the adjustment screw work on salty streets ???
    What about the "SX8000 Nitrogen shocks $32.00 each" that ORD sells?
    Looking forward to receive your comments! /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

mike

7. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

mike, i assumed that you were in the us military - my mistake on the military shipping info. i have ran the 5000s and the 9000s. i ran 9000s for about 2 years on a dodge ram and had no problem with the adjustment; however, i did not drive on any salty roads in the winter time. i enjoy the adjustable shock because i get to dial in the type of ride that i want. i do not know anything about the SX8000 nitrogen shocks. you may want to take a look at the trailmaster SSVs. i ran them on a daily driver that did some light duty trail riding and i really liked them.