Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suspension travel and shocks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hardcore, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Looking at building a crossmember in the rear to mount my shocks in a /\ fashion. I also am looking at purchasing the Missouri offroad setup to save myself some headaches. Either way I am going to need long shocks. The decision that I am trying to make is how long of shocks do I need. I'm going to be running a 4" Flip and 4" springs.

Should I run shocks that are at the center of there travel when mounted up. This would give the suspension even up travel and down travel. (Ex: a 14" travel shock, 7" up,7" droop) I think the suspension would have more down travel so I'm thinking about getting slightly longer shocks so that the suspension can move down more (Ex. 15" shock 6" up, 9" droop) What is ya'll experince with suspension travel up vs travel down and where are your shocks in that travel range when sitting on flat ground?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Engineer your setup so your axle can travel up to the bumpstop, then use whatever is left for down travel.

3. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

I'd jack the truck up at the bumper and measure how much drop you have. then you know about how much down travl you will need. I'd always give extra on the drop. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Engineer your setup so your axle can travel up to the bumpstop, then use whatever is left for down travel.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I thought of that but the bumpstops are supposed to keep the shock from bottoming out so I wanted to do them after I positioned the shocks. The placement of the bumpstops for 8" of lift is pretty low and will limit the flex. Given the fact that I will have a soft setup and cut fenders I probably will be able to flex the suspension to the position of the bumpstop for a 4" lift............Does that make any sense? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd jack the truck up at the bumper and measure how much drop you have. then you know about how much down travl you will need. I'd always give extra on the drop. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That is probably the way I'll have to do it. Like you said I think I'll need more down travel than up.

Anyone else running a similar setup?