Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Suspension Upgrade: Whats the best product?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tripnz, Feb 9, 2005.

1. tripnz

tripnz Newbie

Well, I am sure this will open the flood gates, but I want to add a 4" lift to my 88 K5 Silverado.

Whats the best product out there?

Can I powdercoat the springs? or is there another better option to proctect the springs or quite them down so they don't squeek over time?

Looking at Rancho RS9000 springs, any opinions?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tripnz

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

For lift springs the best off the shelf maker is BDS followed by Tuff Country EZ Rides. Rancho makes good shocks but not so good springs. There are many options for rear lift. Block (bad), add a leaf and block (bad), shackle flip (good), or lift spring (good). The best 2 options are the last to options.

If you have questions about a shackle flip conduct a search. There is alot of info on them floating around this site. If you decide to run a shackle flip a vender here by the name of Dunks Performance sells a good flip produced by Sky-Manufaturing.

Harley

3. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

4" lift is an easy mod for your rig. Bunch of good kits around. And from what everyone around here says BDS rules for ride with Tough Country right behind em.

you mean Rancho RS9000 shocks?
    heard good things about them, but seem pricey to me.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

As for squeaks over time , I used to spraylube the stock fronts and it went away for awhile . But I am sure you could just get teflon strips or some other plastic and rebuild the pack in 6 or 7 years . Old timers told me to cut up old inertubes and out them between the leaves :dunno:

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

don't bother with the powder coat unless you are building a bling show truck. Get some UHMW-PE, and put that between eash leaf, end to end. It tends to come in 3" wide strips. You'll want 0.030-0.060" thick material. Cut it to fit with a little bit sticking past the end of each leaf. My rig had plenty of squeeks to it, but none come from the springs. UHMW-PE is self lubricating, won't cold flow and is super durable. Ive had it in my springs for years and it still looks like new.

The RS9000 is a shock, not a spring. They are decent shocks, but better can definitely be had for not that much more $. I am in the process of installing BBCS-15 shocks.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=261310

...from Poly Perf. They are $100 each. As far as I know thats $25-30 more than the RS9000s, but there is no question in my mind that they are a vastly superior shock.

As far as springs go, if you're not going to tow anything with your K5, use a 4" shackle flip in the rear suspension. It gives you the lift you want, but also maintains the nice and soft factory springs.

For the front you have lots of good options. Easiest would be to just swap in some 4" BDS or Toughcountry springs. If you're up to doing more work (though it will be cheaper if you do all the labor!) you could swap a set of factory rear 52" springs to the front of your rig. Do a search, lots of info on this mod here on CK5.

have any other questions, lemme know.

j