Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sw roll cage

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by drchan, Jun 30, 2003.

1. drchan

drchan Registered Member

i posted on the garage about the same subject but maybe i can find someone here with a sw for 1st gens. i ordered a conversion kit to tie into the existing roll bar. my question is, are the a pillar tubes that come from the hoop down the dash to the floor strait or contoured. the ones that they sent me a perfectly strait and the few i've seen on ck5 seem to have bends to contour past the dash. i called sw and they said they NEVER made the a pillars tubes that contour. they said all of them have been strait. any insight would help

2. Blazin_radiatta

Blazin_radiatta Newbie

Mine is from Smittybuilt and they are contoured.

3. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

I have only seen straight ones from S&W. Remember that you will prob. need to add some length to them if you take them to get them bent.

Most of what you've seen here have been custom. I am putting a full cage (aka Family Cage) in my '72 and have given up on finding anyone having anything "bolt in". I plan to fab myself.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. drchan

drchan Registered Member

dangit' i swear i did a search before i purchased it and one of the members said his was a sw cage. it was contoured to the dash. i know if i want it bent it would probably be too short. now i'm out of options. i have now fab skills!

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

You might be confusing them with the Smittybilt ones....???

I had a 6-point Smittybilt that had the straight section past the dash area....

6. drchan

drchan Registered Member

the one i purchased was from sw (with the strait tubes) i just did a search and all the guys who have pics of "sw" cages have bent tubes. with that said the only pics i've seen are 2nd gens i have a first gen, i don't know if that makes a difference. is smittybuilts bent or strait??

7. Greg72

I have a 1st Gen too.....there are probably some pics in my gallery of the Smittybilt cage.

What I was trying to say (poorly) was that the front A-Pillars come down from the main hoop to the top of the dash area (it's not a halo design, but a LONG A-pillar bar on each side). As the bar gets to the dash it DOES run straight and parallel to the vertical edge of the dash, then as it gets below the dash area, it bends again and goes into the footwell.

So basically, the front bars are not a simple "L" bend like what you are describing with the SW cages.

8. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The front section is the smittybuilt cage kit.
    I had the main hoop, ordered the front smittybuilt cage kit, then added the rear legs and the two tubes in the middle, above the driver and passanger.

[​IMG]

I had to heat up and notch the tube where the glovebox door opens, and i wish i dimpled the area for the passanger side window crank handle... It still works, but a shorter handle would be ideal now.

I got tired of hitting my head on the tubes so i padded and taped the whole cage down to the dash. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. Greg72

BINGO!!!

That's the A-pillar I was trying to describe.......

Thanks Ryan.

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

10. drchan

drchan Registered Member

i know it is a little late but maybe i wasn't clear on what i was saying. i understand what you were saying greg about the bends. my tubes sw sent me were(are) completely 100% strait. no bends what so ever! i found a shop here that can bend them so i hope that works, just more money!