Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

swamper differences

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by misfit, Jul 21, 2000.

1. misfit

misfit 1/2 ton status

what are the diffs between tsl, tsl sx, and tsl radials(not ssr's) which is more suited for highway driving.

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

TSL are bias ply and good for almost all kinds of offroading. They are noisy and wear quickly on the pavement. The SX's are heavier, don't flex as well, but have a really tough sidewall. Good for running in ruts and rocks. And I have the TSL radials. A lot like the regular TSL's, but a little quieter and better manners on the road. Should perform about the same offroad. I haven't had them on that long, but I like'em already.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. Rockblazer

Rockblazer 1/2 ton status

I have had both the TSL's and the SX's. Personally I would have to say that the SX's ride better that the TSL's. They have steel belts in built into them so more of the tread lies on the pavement. Your best ride on the highway would be the radials. You will lose some sidewall strength but if you do not do a lot of rock crawling or travel in stump infested trails I wouldn't worry about it. To further your tire wear and improve wet traction, go and get the tires siped (center lugs only). They will run quieter and also wear better. The cost is normally about $10/tire. Todd

"You're right... I don't understand that Jeep thing!"

4. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

TSL stands for Three Stage Lug (the original Swamper) TSLSX is the Three Stage Lug with side wall biters. The TSL Radial is a Radial version of the Three Stage Lug tire, it has the lugs a little tighter together for less noise. It would be your best bet for street driving. Any radial will be smoother on the street than a bias tire. The bias tires get flat spots from sitting and ride like hell till they warm up and round out again.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com