Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swamper Question.. what psi do you run?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXsizeK5, Mar 4, 2003.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I heard that if you run much over 18 or so psi you "will make short work of balding them in a hurry?"
    Is this true?
    Interco website says 30psi max psi... whats the deal?

If I had 36x.12.50 SX what psi should i run for daily driving on a 16.5x9.75 rim? Also, how good do these wear and perform on the street? this is gunna be 80% on the road and 20% in mud and sand but i really like the agressive look.

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Re: Swamper Question

i run 39.5x15x16.5 at 16.5PSI in the front and 17PSI in the rear and they are wearing pretty well.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

30 psi is for the maximum weight rating of the tire....I don't know which specific tire you're looking at, but I recall on my Swampers they are rated at a maximum load of 2500 Lbs/tire @ ~30 psi.

My truck is around 5000 Lbs, so each tire ONLY sees about 1250 Lbs.....therefore the required air pressure is about half of the maximum value (around 15 psi in my case)

If you actually ran the tires at 30 psi, it would probably ride stiff as hell, and the center tread would wear down to nothing, while the outer lugs would still be intact. The only positive thing is that they should have a lot less rolling resistance, so your highway mileage would be a lot better, and they may also run quieter with less tread touching the road.

4. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I see, but if i ran 15 psi on wouldnt the tire come off the bead, as 16.5 rims are infamous for?

5. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

What PSI does everyone else run?

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I see, but if i ran 15 psi on wouldnt the tire come off the bead, as 16.5 rims are infamous for?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about that.....I assumed you were talking about "street" pressures anyway. Before I added beadlocks, I ran down to around 12 psi offroad. That's about as far as I dared.....I've got 16.5" wheels too! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Of course, now I can run at 0 psi if I really wanted to..... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

I usually go to large parking lot and do the chalk thing.Make a mark all the way across the tires and then drive straight across the lot.If the center is wiped off most,lower the pressure,If the outer edge is wiped off raise the pressure.this lets you see where the tread runs flat.Now I run about22-24 in the front and 16-18 in rear.For a long road trip i raise it about 5 lbs in both to help them roll easier and run a little cooler.38in Swamper TSLs. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I run 38.5x14.50/15 SXs on my burb, and I run 18-19 in the rear, and 21-22 in the front. Good even wear all the way across, but wonders all over the road. For long trips, I put them up to about 25, and it gets alot better gas milage, and doesnt hardly wonder.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

9. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I usually go to large parking lot and do the chalk thing.Make a mark all the way across the tires and then drive straight across the lot.If the center is wiped off most,lower the pressure,If the outer edge is wiped off raise the pressure.this lets you see where the tread runs flat.Now I run about22-24 in the front and 16-18 in rear.For a long road trip i raise it about 5 lbs in both to help them roll easier and run a little cooler.38in Swamper TSLs. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

have someone drive down the street behind you and tell me how much that tire crowns out due to centrifugal force, and the try telling me that all the tread is hitting the ground.

-Scott

10. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

16X38X15 TSL bias tires on 14 wide wheels, I run about 20 PSI in them on the street. So far no bad wearing.