Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swamper Recall on 16" tires?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kyle89K5, Aug 25, 2000.

1. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Swamper Recall on 16\" tires?

Got this off another board that I go to. Haven't heard anything about it, but thought I'd let you guys in on it.

Here's a link to the other BBS to fill you in a little
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/003538.html

I guess the 16" swampers are having some problems. Again, I don't know anything about this, but for you guys running 16" swamps (CK5) you might want to call interco and see what's up.

Kyle
    89K5

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Swamper Recall on 16\" tires?

Thank's Kyle, I will call them.

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

3. CK5

False alarm, I just got off the phone with Interco Tire (Super Swamper) and there is no recall, the only problem that they have heard of was a few people with very heavy trucks like the Ford Super Duty not fully inflateing them and then having problems. They also said they may be comming out with more 16" sizes like 36x14.5 and 38x15.5 - yeah baby!!!!!

[​IMG]

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Good News. Again, I didn't know how valid this was, but better safe than Sorry.

Kyle
    89K5

BTW, Steve, Thanks for the heads up on the bigger 16's. I guess it's time to hurry up and wait now. GOTTA GET SOME OF 'EM!!
    COME AWN!!!

5. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Excellent news Steve!! I'm still hoping for some "good" [​IMG] 37" - 38" tire offerings for the 16's before the time to order comes. That and the ARB for the ff 14-bolt! [​IMG]

Brian
    89KBlazer

6. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Last I heard on the ARB is it's gonna be a while. They were trying to modify their 9" to work since they are similar, but the beefy construction of the factory carrier is tough to beat. They told me it would be 2 years, but that was about 8 months ago.

7. CK5

That's what I told them, I guess the reason they have been slow to come out with wider 16" sizes is because there wheren't many 16x10" rims being made, but now that more are being made they are looking at it, they said the next 16" size will most likly be the 36x14.5. These guys are super nice and anyone wanting to run 16" swamps should give them a call to let them know you want more 16" sizes - there phone number is on their website at www.intercotire.com. Should be within a year maybe sooner.

[​IMG]

8. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the update Kyle

I sent an email to Marc Bowers in their tech dept a while ago but haven't gotten a response yet. I guess I know why now. Oh well, I guess I'll be running "open" in rear until the ARB comes out.

Steve, I guess if Interco's Tech line is that nice, I'll just call and place an order for some new 38x15.5R16 now so they'll be ready for me in November when I'll need them!! [​IMG][​IMG]

Brian
    89KBlazer

9. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Here ya go. I dug this out. It's a copy of the email conversation I had with them.

Hello Kyle,

If you have the 10 1/2 ring gear in your 14-Bolt, we won't be able to help you out. Although we do intend to build one, it is likely that a production unit will not be available for two years or more. I would certainly like to be wrong in my estimation, but judging by the backlog of work we have I think it's reasonably accurate. The 14-Bolt has many similarities to the Ford 9". Our plan is to give our 9" some time to prove itself before we employ its new technology to another differential. When the 14-Bolt is released, however, I think it will be one of our best units. We just want to be sure.

Best regards,
    Chris Wood
    Asst. General Manager
    ARB, USA

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 1999 2:51 PM
    To: Chris Wood
    Subject: FW: 14 bolt air locker

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 1999 1:45 PM
    To: Melissa Wood
    Subject: 14 bolt air locker

I was currious on the availability of an air locker for a GM corporate full floater 14-bolt. If something is in the works then I will hold off on finishing my project to take a look at what you got, if not then thats fine also, just thought I would drop you guys a line to find out.

Kyle Pope