Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swamper SSR's.....any good?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Beast388, Jul 21, 2002.

1. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Swamper SSR\'s.....any good?

I am eyeballing tires trying to decide what to get. Does anyone have opinions in the SSR's? I have also been considering BFG MT KM's. Any info is appreciated. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

Re: Swamper SSR\'s.....any good?

The ssr are a pretty decent. You can get alot of milles out of them. Good street manners too.
    Colin

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Send FRIZZLEFRY a PM...He's runnin a set of 37" SSR's. Pretty sure he loves'em. When I wear out my 33's I'm goin with the 37" SSR's. Or maybe the 37" MTR's. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I'll get the HispanicPanic to post to this one---he has had nothing but good things to say about these tires

5. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

i was just reading the ttora board and one of their guys was just running down the fway at 65 and kablooee! his 35 ssr blows out . never wheels the thing and had the correct air pressure in it . i wouldnt run em .

6. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Well, $hit happens.....Unfortunate in this case, but there are lemons every now and then. The same could happen to any tire. BFG's, MTR's, Mickey Thompsons....Any of them. Just because one SSR's blows up, doesn't mean they all will. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

-Joe , i should have added that i have heard of other ones blowing out also /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif -Andy

get that diesel sold yet ?

8. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I am running a set of 37" SSR's and I think they are great. Just prior to purchase the issue of blowouts occured. I checked with several different sources on opposite sides of the country and everyone of them said the same thing, the problem was with 35" SSR's not 37".

Since our Jimmy is a daily driver, we wanted a tire that could be run on the street and you could still hear your self talk in the cab, handle wet pavement safely, and was a decent off-road tire. So far the have been a good choice.

9. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i thought i read a post where someone had said it was a sidewall problem but SS had gone to a 10 ply side and the problem was fixed. anybody remember this?

10. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

From what I have seen of them you couldn't give them to me. The lugs fall apart in big chunks if you actually wheel them. Steve hardly has any outer lugs left on his and on the trail I can follow him by the trail of rubber.

11. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I have 37" SSRs.I had a chance to go out this weekend and try them out on a realy rocky trail.I had them aired down to 10 psi and they worked realy well.I lost a few good sized chunks of tread but got no sidewall dammage.One thing that does concern me is that on some of the outside lugs,at the base of the lug there are cracks where they are joined to the tire.It looks like that maybe ofer a few good trips I could loose a few outer lugs.I could be wrong though.

The SSRs were my second choise.The MTRs were my first but were still $300 each for 37s when I needed tires.Iv seen MTRs in action and I know the tread would last alot longer than an SSR if you see alot of rocks.

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I like my 35x12.50-15 SSRs. They have done well and not had any issues with them. Ya the rocks cut them up but so what! I wheel that is all part of the gig!
    As for the blowouts, Interco did have a 'batch' issue when the first SSRs hit the market, what 1 1/2 or 2years ago, haven't heard of a repeated 'bad batch' sence then....
    .02c

13. blazen_md

blazen_md 1/2 ton status

Bought a set of 3512.5015 ssr's about a year and a half ago and I had one bad one the side wall started to get a bubble in it. If u keep an eye on all ur tires and keep them well maintained u shouldn't have much of a problem. This was my only one but I love the ssr's I don't think I will ever buy another tire.