Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

swamper sts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddawg, Jan 15, 2005.

1. muddawg

muddawg Registered Member

Does anyone have any opinions about the swamper sts? I'm looking buying a set of the 38/15.50 mostly for the street but also some light mud and snow. Has anyone used these?

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I have only seen them on show trucks and the front of some crazy guy's rock buggy.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

These?

[​IMG]

They suck. A friend I wheel with has them. There sidewalls suck, the tread sucks, and they don't get traction for crap.

Harley

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

This may be the crazy guy I speak of. I seen a pic with them on the buggy and I though "I bet those suck on the rocks".

5. Hossbaby50

6. Hossbaby50

If you are looking for a street 38, I have heard good things about the Parnelli Jones tires. Maybe a 37" MTR would work well for you too. They are not wide but they are a good tire for mostly street and some offroad use.

Harley

7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Yep, that's him. How did the claws do? I wouldn't mind having some radial claws for a daily driver/occasional wheeler.

8. Hossbaby50

The claws are alot tougher tire. They get alot more traction and handle the abuse he puts them threw alot better then the STS's do for him.

Harley

9. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

I had a set of the 38x15.5x16.5 radials on my burb. I wouldn't even recommend anyone taking them on wet grass. They have no traction even with my :burb: weight. Ask nvrenuf. They didn't even tear up the grass in his backyard. They might be great in sand or the street but offroad they suck. I ended up selling those to a guy with a ctd dodge.

10. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

My brother had some on his F-550 and they were louder than his 42" Continental 20 plys... don't know about traction, but those bastards HOWLED going down the road...

My other friend has them on his K5, and he never drives it off of the road so his opinion wouldn't matter much...:crazy: . I know he said that they aren't wearing like he had hoped..!

11. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I have to say that was funny, watching a lifted, locked, 5.13'd Sub spinning all 4 tires while he was moving around my back yard but not making any real marks in the grass. :haha: :haha:

12. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

There alot of people that run them in the dunes, but thats about all they are good for. I also see a couple of people run thornbirds. A year ago when petersons did a mud tire test I was surprised that these things made it in. Just looking at them makes you go... Huhhh!!! O well

13. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Wrong trXus, theres two kinds. The petersons test tested the MT's, which are actually a pretty good tire. The STS's are the ones that suck everywhere.

14. jekquistk5

I swear it was in the 40 Inch all terain, but it was about a year ago, so I could be wrong

15. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Ill look through my issues, but am pretty sure they never tested one. I know they tested a really big Dick cepek not long ago, and i know they did the trXus MT.

16. jekquistk5

Yeah i have em in a stack in the basement, but i have to find the box.

17. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

My brother in-law has a set of STS's on his '93 3/4ton chevy. Pretty sure they are the 315/75R16s on stock steel wheels. Truck doesn't see mud anymore. He plows snow with these tires and really likes them in the snow, also says the road manners are really good. I rode in the truck and they were pretty quiet which by looking at the tread they should be.

I'm looking at buying the 315/75R16 Truxs M/Ts for my dodge.

18. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

there is a guy in town that has a set of 40s on a f250. when he drives by my house i can hear him coming from about 1/2 mile away, sounds just the boggers on another truck in town.
    the f250 never sees offroad just on road. last i talked to him he had 10k on them and they were almost bald.

19. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Come to think of it I know a guy with the 39/40 size on his blazer. Running 3/4tons with 4.88 gears, mostly sand but some mud. He likes them in the sand and when I seen him running in axle deep mud they grabbed enough to break an inner axle shaft and lockout. Road miles unknown.