Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SWAMPER SX VS GROUND HAWGS

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by extremeblazer, Dec 13, 2000.

1. extremeblazer

extremeblazer 1/2 ton status

I AM CHANGING TIRES ON MY TRUCK AND HAVE TWO DIFFERENT SETS OF TIRES SITTING AROUND THE SHOP. 36X12.50-16.5 SUPER SWAMPER SX AND 35X14-16.5 GROUND HAWGS WHO HAS AN OPINION ON WHAT ONE IS THE BEST TIRE. REMEMBER IT IS WINTER SO I WILL SEE LOTS OF SNOW IN NY BUT THEY ARE FREE. SO YOU PICK AND I WILL MOUNT.

2. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I would go with the SX's. They are good for the snow and they have a narrower tread which helps in the really deep stuff.

Communication Breakdown
    74 Blazer
    Zeppelin

3. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

cant you take both? i dont know about ground hawgs in snow, but in everything else they are amazing tires.

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

4. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Honestly, neither is an ideal snow tire, but I agree with Zepplin, the SXs would probably be better than the Ground Hawgs. A tight tread pattern with lots of siping is the key to a good snow tire (especially on hardpack or ice), and neither of these tires have a very "tight" tread pattern...but if you could do some custom siping on those SXs, they would be much better. Also, the people I know up in the mountains prefer a skinny tire for snow duty...but other people I know like a wide tire for better flotation on the soft stuff...so I guess there is no set answer for this! Like usual...A heavy truck like a Blazer will tend to sink in anyway, so I would tend to stay with a relatively skinny tire...I myself have had good luck with BFG Muds, in the 35x12.50 size...maybe other people on this list can tell you their experiences?

5. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Just get a snow tire for the winter and take either of the other ones for spring and later

[​IMG] SlyDog [​IMG]