Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swap 1 ton suspension into 1500?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fixmy59bug, Aug 12, 2006.

1. fixmy59bug

fixmy59bug Registered Member

A while ago I bought a 73 C30 2wd 1 ton Suburban that has a good running gear and the body leaves alot to be desired. Just last night I bought a 89 GMC suburban 1500 1/2 ton. Considering I just picked up a set of Hummer H2 wheels for the 73, and the 89 is in MUCH better condition, I was thinking about swapping the 1 ton suspension into the 89 and mounting the H2 wheels. How difficult of a job would this be? Any custom fabrication I would need to do? I think the rear would be as simple as unbolting the springs, unhooking the brake lines and undoing the E-brake cables, and undoing the U-Joints. Am I right so far?

As far as the front goes, Would it be as simple as swapping springs, and steering knuckle assemblies (with brakes)? Or would I need to get nasty and do the control arms as well?

If anyone can shed some light on this, it would be very appreciated. Thanks.

2. fixmy59bug

Wow, this is kinda disappointing. Noone knows if this 1 ton suspension from my 73 Chevy 'Burban will swap into my 89 GMC 'Burban 1500?

3. 68on44s

68on44s Registered Member

Both of them 2wd?

4. fixmy59bug

Yes, both of them are 2wd. The 89 is a GMC 1500 SLE suburban and the 73 is a C30 Suburban. What I want to do is transfer the 1 ton suspension from the 73 into the 89. I already have everything stripped out of the 73 now, I am wondering if I should be expecting any surprises.

5. fixmy59bug

I have been calling all sorts of places locally to find out if it would all work and so far noone has had any sort of concrete answer. One guy from a Chevy salvage yard even said "Well, those are different years, so no it won't work". LOL. Does anoyne in here have any sort of clue?

6. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Send a private message to SweetK30, he should be able to tell you. He has done some interesting swaps including solid axle onto IFS platform.

7. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

1st off there is no such thing as a k30 sub, subs were only made in 1/2 and 3/4 ton set ups. yes the rear will swap right over springs and all.
    the fronts you'll need to grab the a arms as the ball joints are different between them as well.

8. fixmy59bug

For sure the control arms will bolt right in? I know I will need the new control arms because the ball joints are bigger on the 8 lug and are not interchangeable. So I guess now is as good a time as any to change them. Will I need of the steering linkage? I have the complete 73 at my disposal.

9. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Actually, the spring perches and shock mounts will be different from the 1 ton to 1/2 ton. The perches will need to be relocated unless you plan on swapping the hangers as well. The shock mounts on the 1 ton rear dif. will need to be relocated. E-Brake set up will be different from 73 to 89, driveshaft might be the right length. Don't forget your brakes. You might want to swap over the larger 1 ton master too.

I'm not sure about anything on the front of a 2wd.

Good Luck,

Eric M.

10. fixmy59bug

Well, the 1 ton suspension and the Hummer H2 wheels are now under my 89 1500 suburban.

It all went fairly simple. The main parts of the rear were a direct swap in. I swapped in the rear axle with the larger springs still attached. Luckily everything lined up perfectly. That's what I consider main parts. AS far as the drive shaft goes, the 1/2 ton driveshaft and 10 bolt rearend used smaller U joints than the larger 1 ton and 14bff. So I had to use the back half of the 73 drive shaft mated to the front half of the 89 drive shaft. That worked out perfect.

I also had to use the rear rubber flex line from the 73 as the 89 one was different threadding and slightly shorter. But I got the brakes in and bled and everything works perfect there as well. E-Brake cables are a different story all together. Right now I don't have one. The original 89 ebrake worked, but there was no possible way to attach these cables to the 73 rear brake hardware. So if I want a working E-brake again, I will have to wait until I take off the rear brakes and see how it all attaches. (the 73 ebrake was already disconnected, so I had no reason to pull the drums).

The front was a little more difficult. The lower control arms were a direct swap (including U bolts to hold it to the frame). The upper control arms I had to grind out the upper ball joints and bolt the new 1 ton ball joints in. I added the 1 ton springs, bolted up the steering knuckles and everything was good. Apparently the 89 1/2 ton and the 73 3/4 ton used the same calipers. So I didn't need to undo the brake lines on the front. Just reused the 89 calipers on the 89 knuckles.

I bolted everything together, added the Hummer H2 wheels and everything looks great. It requires a little bit of fender trimming on the front of the fenders because the tire rubs at the slightest turn. So that will be handles tomorrow. And I will make sure to get pics of the after product tomorrow.