Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

swap 350 into S-10?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Snarrl, Jul 13, 2002.

1. Snarrl

Snarrl Newbie

I'm helping my buddy replace the engine in his '84 s-10 4x4. Would it be possible to swap in a 350cid? what modifications are nessesary? anyone know? It's a 6cyl now...Motor mounts? of course the exhaust, will it bolt to the tranny (standard) that's in there now?

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I don't know what all is involved but they do make kits to do the swap. They have been putting 350's in S-10's for years. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. jackedjimmy

jackedjimmy 1/2 ton status

the SBC should bolt right up to the tranny because a SBC has pretty much the exact same dimentions and bellhousing as a v-6 does except it is 2 cylinders shorter.

Other than that, different motor mounts, exause routing and possibly a different oil pan.

Good luck

4. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

If the motor you are taking out is a 2.8l or 3.1l V6 the bellhousing on the trans. is diffrent. If it was a 4.3l (which I highly doubt in an '84, than it will bolt up with a diffrent oil pan, oil filter relocation kit, motor mounts, exhaust manifolds, assiciated hoses, bolts, fittings and wiring. But when your done you'll have one hell of an S-10!

All kidding aside, the swap isn't all that bad. You need to keep in mind however that the S-10 drivetrain was not meant for even the most mild of small blocks. So your cooling system, and axles/trans, are all going to need upgrading. But really it would be bad a$$! I've seen/heard quite a few in the neighborhood that I've had no hand in and it is awsome to be in another car and hear an S-10 rumble!

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

DUDE!!!! jackedjimmy, your in Redmond!!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif AWSOME, what does your truck look like, maybe I've seen it. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

7. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

There are acouple of kit out there for this swap.....They have been mostly done on 2-wheel drive s-10 due to the weight of the v-8 being more then the v-6. He may have to due some work up front for the front suspension and should re-inforce the frame for the off roading I think you'll have to do work on the driveshafts, fire wall and trany mounts due to length of the motor. Trany will work fine behind the v-8. might also have to change the computer it's in the vehical that your going to use...

8. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Yup, easy to do if you know who to ask /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I did this with a 1985 S-15 Jimmy 4x4. First a list of what I can remember for parts:

motor mounts (I have a set for sale)
    Remote oil filter kit (front driveshaft interfers with V8 filter location)
    V8 or 4.3L tranny (700R4 being the easiest)
    Modified oil pan (www.jagsthatrun.com sells em)
    SBC short water pump for extra clearance between radiator and pump.
    V8 camaro radiator
    Dual 12" electric pusher fans like ones made by Hayden (this is what I used as primary fans because I had a long water pump).

Of course you need a V8 and accessory brackets. It took me about 1 year of off and on work to get my truck back on the road. I tried to buy the book from jags that run but every mail order house was backordered so I just figured it out as I went. I had to redo things a few times on the cooling system to get it right.

Feel free to PM or email me for more info.

9. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

You will have to change the bell housing if you want to keep the existing tranny. Get one from a 4.3L S10 with a manual tranny and it will bolt up behind the V8. The 4 spd trannies in 1984 will not stand up behind the V8 very long. A built T-5 should be able to unless you do some extreme wheeling.