Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swap 5 lugs on truck for 6 lugs?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by stump_puller, Jul 5, 2002.

1. stump_puller

stump_puller 1/2 ton status

Dad has a 79 C10 with 5 lugs. I am going from 6 lugs on my 85 4x4 to 8 lugs. My question is there any way to change the front rotors to 6 lugs so I can give him my rims. The rear will be easy, just swap out the axle shafts.

What do you guys think?

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

6 lug rotors are made for 2wd these days, aftermarket only, no stock ones. i think theyre about 150 a pair. early classics, etc., has them, or maybe a machine shop near you will weld up and grind smooth the 5 lug holes and redril 6 on 5.5" pattern

also when you go swapping the 79 stuff from 5 to 6 make sure neither oens are different shoe widths, becaus rthen youll have to swap backing plates also with the shafts and drums, some trucks use 2 3/4" wide drums. Mostly the Big 10 and Heavy Half models.

'70-up shafts are normally 31 3/16" overall length
    70 was the year GM widened the axles, but were stil 6 lug on 2wd til '71.
    11x2" drums always std. equipment brakes,

good luck

3. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I have absolutely no idea if it would work for the '79, but I do know that earlier 2wd's used 6lugs. There is a 2wd '70 two streets over that is 6lug, and my buddies 2wd '66 has 6lugs. Maybe you could swap everything from the spindle-out onto the '79? I don't know that there is any benefit of going from 5 to 6 lug though. Just my $.02

4. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

It may be easier to just stay with the 5 lug.

5. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

My thoughts exactly. There aren't any real benefits of going to 6 lug. UNLESS... no, there aren't any! Rear axle strength will be the same, front will be the same, but it would cost more $$$ with no added performance. But if you just wanna be different Stump Puller, it can probably be done.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

For the costs, you'd be better to just get rims for him. Then you could sell the ones you got. Some places that deal in used rims might trade with you.

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Those earlier trucks with six lugs are drum brakes in the front, I don't think he wants that /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I have a set of 6 lug in my 70 1/2 ton to I would like to put 5 lugs in. They are drum brakes all around though.

John

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

they now make aftermarket 6 lug 2wd rotors so guys who have gone to disc up front from drums can keep the 6 lug pattern