Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swap a 6.2 in to a 89 k5

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 84CUCV, Apr 20, 2005.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Well, i was offerd a 89 k5. He bought it for the motor and ecm and wiring. Everything else is there. the 700r4 slips. I will put one of my th400 from a cucv in it. So i guess what i am asking is what am i in for?? Any ides what this will cost?? any thing else you can think of would be great. thx

Mike

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I put a 6.2L into my '79 K10 for about $350-500 or so. But I put all new gaskets in the motor, new clutch, and some little things like new oil cooler lines... Probably put a little more than that into the motor now with rebuilt injectors and new glow plugs.

3. 84CUCV

yea, i plan on doing a lot of that little stuff to. 500 does not seam to bad.

thx mike

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I should also say that did not include the price of the motor or donor truck. I got that on an even trade for another truck.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Including the motor and donor truck I ended up being into my swap for a little over $1500 US. It didn't start out being that much, but all the little crap I used off the donor ended up needing replacing. Hydroboost pump, alternator, starter, batteries, GP relay, battery cables, etc etc.

Rene

6. 84CUCV

I think I might use my old 84 cucv m1009 just might come apart for this one. The wiring in the m1009 is so messed up and i cant figure it out for the life of me. It only has 37k on it. only asking 1800 for it and nobody wants it so i might as well.

Can i use the old lines in the 89 or will i need new ones? Also i not to good with wiring. What am i going to be in for or is it no big deal?

Thanks guys, i should have done a search this was asked before i think.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2005