Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swap a driver drop with a passenger drop 241?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by divorced, Oct 19, 2006.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Updated: post #9

1996 K1500 with a 5.7/4L60E/241C

This truck has a driver side drop transfer case and needs to be replaced with a passenger side drop transfer case. The truck has a SAS and has a GM front axle, therefore the need for a passenger side drop transfer case.

Will a 241 from a 88-91 Blazer or Suburban work?

Will it bolt to the adapter that is currently in the truck?

Will the VSS work with the Vortec computer?

Are the wiring connectors the same?

Will the speedometer need corrected or work the same?

I don't know much about this stuff... so any additional information or suggestions would be helpful.

I do know that the t-case shift linkage will need modified.

:D

Last edited: Oct 23, 2006
  2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

are case from a SFA chevy with the VSS will work the concetors should be exactly the same and the VSS's should both be 40 pulses a mile so every thing should bolt up fine with no problem

the only corection that the speedo will need is for gear and tire size change

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Thanks. So I'm guessing it's a fairly simple swap? This is for my friend's truck, and it's his daily driver, so he can't have it down for long. It's already got the solid axle and lift and he's been driving it as a 2wd for about 6 months... but the snow is coming so he want's a front driveshaft now. He's running 4.56 gears with 35's. The computer was sent off and corrected for the speedo, remove torque management, remove abuse mode, max speed set a lot higher than 98 mph, max rpm increased, holds OD over 80 mph, shift points changed, and some other stuff...

4. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

I believe 88 was still the 208 and 241 from an 89 is going to be a mechanical speedo

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i demand pics before i will release any further information. :deal: :D

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I'll ask him if he minds... he's kinda picky about posting pics. I'll need to get some good pics of it also since the couple I have really suck. He used the ORU kit with 6" springs sitting on 35's.

Another friend has an '03 2500HD regular cab long bed with a 6.0/5 speed manual with a Ford D60 sitting on 36" Iroks.

7. Cajun4x4

Cajun4x4 1/2 ton status

if you want to use the stock tranyxmember you will want to clock the case up some... the bolt pattern to bolt to the trans is exactly the same and the VSS should plug right in IIRC

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Good thinking Cajun. I'll mention it to him and see what he says. He may just build a new crossmember to keep the front output a little lower to help with driveshaft angles.

9. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Sorry for bothering you all again, but this is for a friend and I just want to double check this info before I have him buy a case...

Here is the description of a case for sale by a forum member

The truck it's going in is a 1996 K1500 with a 5.7/4L60E/driver drop 241C

If we unbolt the driver drop t-case from the adapter, will this passenger drop bolt in it's place using the existing 4L60E adapter? Or would he need the driver drop trans-to-tcase adapter?

Is the 4L60E is 27 spline and the transmission output shaft is the correct length?

Will the rear driveshaft still work? (Are the two t-cases the same length?)

Other things to do:

build a new crossmember
    modify exhaust
    modify shift linkage

Thanks guys.

10. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Here it is, now release some info...

ORU brackets, 6" front springs, custom rear leafs, 35" tires, 4.56 gears, 14 bolt rear with locker and www.diy4x.com disc brakes, D44 front for now until the D60 gets built. The shocks are 36" tall when extended, mounted to custom shock hoops. Sky x-over steering. Wait4Me tune (to bring the engine to life and correct for the speedo). The front x-member that usually interferes with the front of the spring has been removed, and a new crossmember/receiver hitch has been built up inside the framerails. The frame is shaved clean of the IFS brackets and really looks nice. Even with this much tire-to-fender clearance he can still make the 35's rub a little... and that's without a front driveshaft to get to the good wheelin spots. I see some mashed fenders in his future after he gets a front driveshaft. :D :haha:

Here are a few pics I took with some crappy lighting almost before dark, but you get the idea...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

10" of lift and 35s... looks like i'll be modifying my brackets down to 4" and running some 37s. those tires are too small, IMO.

everything should bolt up, the only thing that may be different is the connector for the speedo at the trans, but that's an easy enough fix.

12. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

It's strange, because the actual amount of lift is around 11.5". This was a "before and after" measurement and also confirmed when measuring against a stock height truck. The measurements were taken from the hub center to the bottom of the fender. The 6" springs always seemed a bit taller than 6", and they have a thinner version of a zero-rate helping also.

Cool, this is the most important thing - making sure that it will bolt up fine.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2006
  13. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

If you were closer I'd be interested in that LHD 241

14. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Ya, my location is horrible because there aren't many members close by... and CA is about the farthest from me :o

Just curious, would you use it for a replacement? Or to use a high pinion Ford axle? I would think this would make a good setup? :confused:

15. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

HP 44, leaves room for exhaust to route through the stock location.

16. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

I know where there is a high pinion Dana 44, just waiting to be taken outta the junkyard:thinking:

17. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I'll likely get crucified for this, but for my application, which is NOT rock crawling, a TTB D50 makes the most sense. Fab some loooonngggg radius arms & hang some C/O's under there.
    A friend has two take-outs & has offered one to me if I decide to go thru with this.