Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

swap from stick to auto

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Aug 20, 2001.

i know this has been posted a few times but i just want to hear from people who have done it. i'm putting an auto in my 76 work truck which currently has a stick. any little details or tricks anyone has to share would be great. in particular, how big of a PITA will swapping the steering colum and pedals be? thanks.

jason

<font color=blue>Striving for K5 world dominance</font color=blue>

1. Chaz316

Chaz316 1/2 ton status

If you go with a B&amp;M type floor shifter you shouldn't have any problems with the column. The auto may need a longer(or shorter) drive shaft. I helped a friend put one in his 79 4x4 and we used a ratchet shifter that had the cable linkage and it was pretty straight forward. The driveshaft had to be lengthened, oh yea needed a new fly wheel too.

"If it aint broke don't fix it" is like a 4 letter word.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.phatboy.alloffroad.com>PhatBoy.AllOffRoad.com </a>

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You can keep the existing pedals and tie the clutch out of the way, but I would go to a junk yard and get a brake pedal out of an auto. Remove the bolt, remove the clutch, remove clutch linkage, remove brake pedal by unclipping from booster shaft, put in the auto brake pedal (wider), and reinstall bolt. You can swap columns, but since you have a big hole in the floor due to the old stick shifter, I would just get a cable shifter made for trucks (taller). It's cake to hook up, and will save a column swap and floor patching (or getting one from an auto, because the hump is removable). If you choose to swap columns so you have column shift, you will need the linkage, as well as the piece that bolts to the frame with the plastic insert to support the linkage. You will need a tranny cooler. Try to find a radiator from an auto and use it along with an auxillary cooler. If you don't want to use a radiator with built in tranny cooler, put two auxillary coolers in the front of the radiator in tandem. You will have to find a new transfer case adaptor for the tranny and t-case (assuming 4x4), may have to move crossmember (and may have to shorten/lengthen driveshafts depending on length difference). You will need a new flywheel, torque converter (don't use an old one), tranny cooler lines, tranny cooler(s), a 4x4 tailshaft if the tranny was from a 2wd vehicle (again assuming 4x4), a kickdown bracket/TV cable bracket, a vacuum hose for the modulator if it's a 350 or 400, a kickdown switch if it's for 400 (mounts behind gas pedal). If you have a 700r or a lockup version of the 350 or 400, you will need components to control TC lockup. Most use a vacuum source with brake over-ride, but each kit is different.

This is the basics, hope it helps.

There is a Right way, a Wrong way, and then there is My way. The latter is usually the most fun! [​IMG]

3. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

Are those B&amp;M ratchet shifters worth of money?I was going to use one on my first pick-up,but my part-salesman told that those things are POS.Said that they become loose and don't work so great.So I ditchet that swap.I may use one on my next project so I was just wondering...

I'm too lazy to stick shift,that's why I prefer autotranny.

4. i am swapping in a 350/208 combo. i have the center hump and the crossmember. i like the floor shifter idea but they are 160 bucks so i'll price colums out a the junkyard. looks like the pedals will be the only real pain. that and stuffing the trannie and t case in in my driveway on my back. man, maybe i am getting too old for all this crap. Naaaa!!!!

<font color=blue>Striving for K5 world dominance</font color=blue>

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well sounds like you got all the stuff (minus the column) to do a "clean" installation (by getting the proper floor hump). Just remember to grab the bracket the a bolts to the inside of the drivers-side frame that has the plastic bushing for the column shift-rod support. Good Luck, and yes that sucker is going to be heavy!

There is a Right way, a Wrong way, and then there is My way. The latter is usually the most fun! [​IMG]

6. Chaz316

Chaz316 1/2 ton status

B&amp;M makes a couple of floor shifters like the ratchet that use a cable linkage. They get loose because people dont take their time and put them together properly and then they don't know how to use them and they end up snatching the he** out of them to shift them which makes em even looser. We havent had a problem with my buddies in his 79.

You could actually fab up a console and mount the B&amp;M to it. How sweet would that be?

"If it aint broke don't fix it" is like a 4 letter word.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.phatboy.alloffroad.com>PhatBoy.AllOffRoad.com </a>