Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swap in hp60 or keep chevy 60?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Sep 19, 2006.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

ok so ive got my chevy d60 already in my rig. ive found a parts truck to transplant a 6.2 into it, and at the same time will be swappin in a 4L80E. behind that im planning on putting a doubler behind it, so now heres where i need your thoughts....now would be the time to swap in a HP60 since i could put a ford 205 behind the chevy 203. while i could get a decent amount of money for my chevy 60, it would still require a good bit to get the HP60 built. my thinking was that the HP would help me with my crapy front driveshaft angles, and maybe keep me away from a mega-dollar front shaft. well anyways, now would be the time. once everything is in, it wont be coming out, so this is basically the last chance to swap. what do you guys think? i know not many on here run a hp60, but a few do. at first i thought it was a great idea, but now im not so sure its worth it. do you guys think its worth the extra cost/trouble?

after pricing it all out, i would be able to have the same axle except for the 35spline, and be about even and id have a ford 205 as well. how does that sound? only thing is that i would have to get the gears installed.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2006
  2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

umm... swap it in, then build the 60 LP for rear steer....

3. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I would say keep it simple and stick with your LP 60, which is loaded with pimp sh!t. I would LOVE to have a 60 like you've currently got..

that being said, if you find a HP 60 loaded with 35 spline bling and can sell/trade your axle for it, you might as well.

I'd be happy with what you got though.. you might get a ford HP and end up fighting death wobble or something. You KNOW your axle is good.. if it ain't broke don't fix it. You'll be wanting HAD shafts when you do your doubler anyway :wink1:

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

the doublers gonna give you more length for your front shaft anyways. too much time/ effort/ money for way too little reward. A front shaft is gonna be the same price either way (if not then very close) Going hp to try and save money is NOT going to happen.

5. muddybuddy

i hear what yall are sayin :)

6. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

so you found the 6.2 to swap in? awesome man. makin your awesome ride even better :waytogo:

7. muddybuddy

yep i found it, but im not buyin the truck for a month, since im not home.

i know the 4L80E is longer than the 700r4 and the doubler will add a couple more inches, im just scared id have to run one of them bling bling 42* cv's since im going to to be swapping in 56's up front.

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Don't the 56's move the front axle forward too?

9. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

I would do it if I could afford to. I was thinking of going the HP route as I build. Right now I mine is all stock with 10 bolts, but it is also my DD at the moment so I will have to plan carefully. Already I know that I will be buying a 60 and it will sit in my garage untill I can afford bigger wheels, tires to fit on those wheels, and crossover steering. If I was to convert to hp D60, I would have to wait longer untill I could afford a doubler and different driveshafts.

Anyhow, like I said, If I had another truck and the funds I would do it. But, like you I am sure I could change my mind in the future and be in the same boat that you are in.

10. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

the differance between a 1410 cv and a 1350 is alot less than what your talking about going through...

11. muddybuddy

it would move it 1" further forward than already (zero-rates now), but they are going to have alot more droop. im just worried bout the pass side at full droop, ill def be needing a HAD shaft reguardless of which way i go.

12. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

you could swap the chevy outer on the hp axle to make it stronger and then you could keep all the good stuff from your current axle

13. muddybuddy

true true. well if it turns out i gatta run one....ill have bragging rights. a front driveshaft is still a ways away tho.