Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

swap turbo 400 for 700r4

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gonger, Mar 17, 2006.

1. gonger

gonger Registered Member

i have a 90 k5 and 89 2500 sub and am considering swapping 700r in the k5 to the sub(turbo 400). I would like the OD in the sub for highway driving. the 90 has digital speedo in transfercase, 89 sub has cable so Id plan on leaving the tranfer cases and just swapping trans,

will the splines match up between trans and tranfer case?

Is there a lenght difference, will I need drive shafts lenthend?

what mods will be needed for lock up converter, I think there kits availible?

thanks for help.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

700R4 has a 27 spline output and the TH400 has a 32 spline output so the T-case will not swap from one to the other. Also there is a length difference between the two tranny's but i'm not sure by how much. Why not just swap the entire tranny/t-case from one to the other then deal with the speedo situation and drive shaft length issues?

3. gonger

gonger Registered Member

could the tail shafts be swapped on transfer cases? I didnt want to play wiht speedos because of speedsensor and tbi ecm issues,this Idea is already starting to sound like too much work.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Both T-cases should be NP241 and everything on the rear should swap from electric speedo to mechanical speedo.