Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swaping alternators

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by smp, Feb 18, 2003.

1. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

I'm still running the old external voltage regulator and was thinking about swaping mine to a newer stlye altanator with the internal reg. and was wondering what it takes to do the swap.

2. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Easy squiezie dude!
    You just take the key on wire on your external reg. and extend it to your alt. assy. I can explain further a bit later, but there is nothing hard about it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

4. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

Wow doing a search what a concept /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif It's amazing how i sometimes forget that there are more usefull things out there on the web other than CK5.
    Thanks guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Wow doing a search what a concept /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif It's amazing how i sometimes forget that there are more usefull things out there on the web other than CK5.
    Thanks guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

There are other sights on the internet other than CK5 /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

FYI~
    When I did this all I did was buy a HighAmp one wire alt and simply hooked the one wire to the + of my main batt and left the external regulator in it's factory configuration, didn't add or remove anything..
    Oh the alt I bought is a PowerMaster 140amp, works GREAT!!

7. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

Ok, When I did this I got the info from 67-72chevytrucks.com
    But anywho, You make 2 "jumper wires" with spade terminals and go as follows: 1to3 and 2to4 I had a pic of it so it was'nt confusing, but I could'nt find it.Just unplug you external regulater and jump wires as shown and mine works fine.Then exchange the alt. hook up plug. hope this helps,

Conoverbandit

8. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Shane,

The only thing to remember is that when and if you swap the alternator to a high amp one, the factory gauge will only work on alternators that are below 60 amps, if you jumper the pigtail like the previous post states, and you use a larger alternator more that 60 amps, it will fry the factory gauge. No biggie, I fried mine and just hooked up a volt meter, it works better than an amp gauge anyways. Standard factory amp gauges are not made for the larger amp's.

Rob

9. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

Sweet, thanks for all the info /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    After having my external regulator fall off the core support and ground out i figured its time to upgrade into the 21st century /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

10. jeffer

jeffer 1/2 ton status

I swapped in a used internally regulated alternator from a mid 80's truck. I also did the jumpering scheme described above. If you want to spend $15 you can get a kit that has a premaid jumper plug for the regulator harness and one that plugs into the factory alternator harness. You can make all of this yourself, the kit is just cleaner (didn't know these were available until after I made my own.) Chevyduty has one. Painless makes alternater pigtails too.

11. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Im with Burt, I just went down to the auto parts store bought a 1 wire alt. and hooked it up to the battery, works fine!

12. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

Go to MAD for all the info you'd ever need about alternators and wiring. They suggest getting an alternator with 3 wire hook-up so you can use the sense wire to reference the voltage you use, not an imaginary 13.7 volts