Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

swaping front drive shaft from 3/4 ton,,would it work

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by deek, Dec 29, 2003.

1. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

would i be able to swap the front drive shaft from a 76' 3/4 ton /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif, into my 73 blazer /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif. both have the d44

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

if it has the same tranny and case set up, then yes.

3. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Does the 3/4 ton have the same t-case with same mounting syle(flange or yoke(sp?))if so then yes. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

4. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Does the 3/4 ton have the same t-case with same mounting syle(flange or yoke(sp?))if so then yes. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

5. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

not sure on the transfer case, but I know that it's a manual & i have an auto.

Does this mean no?

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Manual tranny front shaft is about half as long as yours. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Manual tranny front shaft is about half as long as yours. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    seriously /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif, an SM465 is that much shorter than an auto?

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

SM 465 is 12" long. I think a 700R4 is almost twice that, TH 350 an inch or two shorter than the 700R4 and the TH 400 somewhere in between. The adapter makes up for some of it though I believe, but yes, there is that serious of a difference in length.

9. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

No it isnt, The sm465 also has a long ass adapter to the t-case. I have a rear shaft from a longbed with a 465 and a 208 in my plow truck that has a 400 and 208 in it. They are within an inch of legnth. Id have to say that the front would be that close as well because a 208 is gonna be the same thickness as any other 208 in anything else.

10. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I recently swapped a 700R4 in place of my 465 in my 3/4-ton. The length is almost identical due to the compensating length of the adapters. In addition, the front driveshaft from my old 10-bolt Jimmy front axle fit fine in the 3/4-ton in either configuration. I checked this before discarding my driveshaft after my 1-ton build-up. Can never have enough spare parts!

11. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I recently swapped a 700R4 in place of my 465 in my 3/4-ton.

[/ QUOTE ] What for? I'm not criticizing because I like 700's but I'm just curious.

12. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

For me it was pretty simple. The '81 K20 is driven by my 17 y/o. He is new to driving and still struggles with the clutch. In addition, it had a mechanical clutch (not hydro) which added to his difficulty. Get that thing offroad on loose gravel going up a hill or ledge with a new driver and all you're gonna do is spin the tires and go backwards. That isn't a good combination.

In addition, the linkage and throwout bearing busted on the 465. We had to pull the whole sucker to do the repairs. The repairs were going to run around $200 (I always replace the clutch while in there). We thought about converting to a hydro-clutch, but that would also run around $200 for all the parts. I came across a 700R4 on here complete from the flexplate back including the 208 tcase still attached and the tilt column with shifter for under $500 shipped to my door. Take out the $200 we got from a friend for the 465/208 combo and we wonly had about $300 invested. It was going to be the best/safest setup for a new driver.

Of course, he decided to take it for a plunge recently in a lake. Tranny sat overnight below the water level WITHOUT A BREATHER TUBE HOOKED UP. Tranny filled with water (as did the engine) and did major damage. Gonna be rebuilding the whole thing now. But that's another story!!