Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

swaping in a 4 speed,any tips?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by slowk5, Oct 14, 2005.

1. slowk5

slowk5 Registered Member

I am about a payday away from getting rid of the auto,and swaping in a sm465.Am pretty sure i have everything,using mech.linkage.my first really big job,i can't wait!Pretty sure a few guys on ck5 have done this before,feed back would be great.

2. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I got a tip for ya... don't forget to put the throwout bearing on the input shaft before you bolt up your tranny. As I was bolting up my 465/205 combo, I was amazed at the lack of effort it took to install them while they were bolted together. They literally slid right in the first time i tried to install it. As I gloated and bragged about my incredible mechanical aptitude, I looked around thinking, what next? It was then that I noticed my throwout bearing sitting on my garage floor.... In reality, the toughest thing for me was getting the new pedal setup in the truck and making it work with the hydraulic clutch. But that dang throwout bearing was by far the most frustrating!

3. slowk5

slowk5 Registered Member

Sounds like somthing i would do.the pedles and all tha mess looks like the hardst part. throw bearing on input-check!

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

dont forget...

Dont forget you'll need a pilot bushing or bearing(your choice)..I had everything apart on my 72 K5 on a weekend,putting a SM 465 in place of a TH350,had the flywheel,bellhousing,tranny,transfer case,new clutch,pedals,etc--sunday morning I realized I forgot a pilot bushing! :doah: --and I had to be to work at 10 am monday,70 miles away!.. :mad: .. (did the work at my parents house--I lived in an apartment,no truck fixing allowed!)..

I Got lucky and found a parts store 25 miles away that was open til noon on sunday morning,and they actually had one in stock!--cost me 12 bucks though--I worked at a parts store,would have been three dollars and change if I'd remembered to get it at work.. :mad:

Didn't matter anyway..I ended up using my dads car to go to work..I put the pedal cluster in,and discovered my power brake booster was junk,full of brake fluid,and the clip on the throwout bearing fork was rusted and it broke.(dealer only item too--cost 3 bucks!)--Had to wait until the next weekend to finish it after I found a booster in the junkyard--only had to scour 5 of them to get one,and this was in 1985!..bet they are REAL rare now... :crazy:

Good luck on your swap!..I loved the granny low 1st gear,but the splines on the output shaft on the tranny were worn pretty bad--it would rattle and drove me nuts--even a new coupler sleeve and J-B weld didn't quiet it for very long (10 spline tranny shaft)..now I know why they went to a shaft with more splines in later years..(32 I think??).. :doah: ...

But no more being late for work,waiting for the TH350 to decide if it was going to go in "drive" first thing in the morning anymore..it took 5 minites some days before it would move in forward gears--then it was perfect all day..next day,same thing!..almost got fired thanks to that tranny!..never did figure out what its problem was..I wished I'd put lower gears in it at the same time..3.08's sucked with a 4 speed for power,but it got decent highway gas mileage.... :doah: :crazy:

5. slowk5

slowk5 Registered Member

great story-thanx

6. ccj8008

ccj8008 1/2 ton status

If you are considering a body lift with a mechanical linkage, now's the time to have the link bar extended. I stripped the seats, carpet etc out first before starting. Dont forget the reverse BU lamp wire to the top of the trans.

7. slowk5

slowk5 Registered Member

whats the best way to wire the bu lights?

8. big4x4ride

big4x4ride 1/2 ton status

i did this in my 79 jimmy, started to do mechanicla but went hydro instead, if you give yoursefl 2 days to do it, plan on it taking 4 and try and get some help moving that heavy mofo around :)

9. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

My truck came with a 4 speed and auto cab so it was all hacked together for me. I took the body lift out and had to redo the clutch linkage(mechanical) It was a PITA to say the least, i made my linkage with a peice of 1/2rod, threaded the ends and put some little heim joints on it, it works but its not perfect. Good luck with the swap.

10. gotchevys?

gotchevys? Registered Member

4 speed swap

I did this swap in an 89 jimmy. One thing to keep in mind is that the bracket that goes from the firewall to the dashboard that the pedals hang from is different in automatic and manual transimssion trucks. At least it was in my 89. The chevrolet dealer said that the part was no longer available. Luckily I mentioned this to a friend of mine who happend to know where there was a stripped down 78 pickup that was a factory 4 spd truck. That is where I got my bracket. I don't know if you were aware of this or not but I thought it may be helpful. :burb:

11. sargent c

sargent c Registered Member

converted mine from a mechanical linkage to hydraulic using a CNC floor mount clutch pedal and a novak conversion setup. 99% happy with the results, still seems like I need more freeplay though. Solves alot of problems going to hydro, especially with lifting and flexing. The engagement is smooth and light.

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

By unplugging the connector thats already there and replacing the auto portion with the manual trans backup wire harness. :)